• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor ID

Definitly not a RENIX(87-90) unless the exhaust man./valve cover was changed. I'm "guessing" late OBDI or early OBDII(94-96).

Its hard to say. From what it looks like, the motor has a later cast valve cover. A dealer parts guy told me they switched to the stamped cover in 1996. I also thought the main bearing girdle (isin't that one?) on the crank shot was included in 1996.

On my motor, I found what appears to be a casting date on the side of the block. Underneath where the exhaust manifold is a string of lettes and numbers. From what I remember it begins with "4.0L NVH" and ends with appx. "10 16 95." That date would make sense as occurs roughly 1 month before my documented vehicle build date.

Im wondering if I could rebuild it, and use the intake and head from my 90? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:
lilredwagn said:
'95 or earlier. Doesn't have the main girdle that was added in '96.

It's been a while since I changed my rear main seal...but isn't that the girdle in the last photo? I remember having to undo a whole lot of bolts (14) to get to the rear main cap.

That's definitely the 96+ main girdle in the last photo. If that's the case, you've got a block with added bracing to reduce NVH (noise, vibrations, harmonics)

Back