• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tapers on chevy ends?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, I got my heavy duty steering on that uses I believe the chevy ends and it looks like the drag link at the pitman arm tie rod end has a different taper then the other two. Or am I imaginng things?

I believe its the same taper. It looks different because its a high misalignment end, so it tapers out and then back in for clearance.

What brand, Remi?

Tera makes a large tie rod with the small Jeep taper. If your stuff is Tera then it has the stock Jeep taper at the pitman arm, so you don't have to modify the pitman arm.

Goatman said:
What brand, Remi?
It's a custom set-up using Chevy 1-ton TRE's. It should be pretty similar to JCR's, FWIW.

Remi- Worst case, call John tomorrow at 253-939-5019 and he can get you squared away, or PM him. BTW, I've been running the set-up (mine was the prototype) for a while and it's awesome. I've tried pretty hard to break it and have had no success. The entire weight of the front of the Jeep has been suspended from the tie-rod and all it did was scratch the paint.

-----Matt-----

He told me on the phone he was doing JCR, the day he ordered. He may have changed his mind and not mentioned it.

cal said:
He told me on the phone he was doing JCR, the day he ordered. He may have changed his mind and not mentioned it.
:dunno:

Could be, but my buddy who builds the kits (which are pretty similar to the JCR) says he sold one to Kejtar. I honestly don't know though. If CanMan is lurking moderating he should be able to clear it up...he's the one who put it together.

-----Matt-----

The high misalignment ends (ES 2026R and 2027L) have the same taper (7.12 deg) But the minor diameter of the reamed part (pitman arm, etc) is 11/16" instead of the 5/8" minor diamter you need for the 2233L, and 2234R.

monkeyevil said:
The high misalignment ends (ES 2026R and 2027L) have the same taper (7.12 deg) But the minor diameter of the reamed part (pitman arm, etc) is 11/16" instead of the 5/8" minor diamter you need for the 2233L, and 2234R.

Same taper as what?

monkeyevil said:
Hmmmm that's a bit confusing though as that would make it a bit sloppy for the rod end since it seems 5/8" on the threaded part?

Avanteone said:
The taper is the same, the end that's used at the pitman arm just needs to be reamed more (deeper).

Give me a call if you have any questions or problems, Remi.

John
In that case I'll ream it out a bit more. I did not want to overdoo it. How far should I ream it out?

monkeyevil said:
As the 2233L and 2243R. If that is what we are talking about here.

Sorry, since I don't run around with TRE part numbers in my head, I have no idea what you're actually saying.

How about thread size, small or large taper, application, etc. :)

Back