• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is there a EGR regulator?

Kreutz

NAXJA Forum User
I've been having trouble with my jeep not wanting to run. It starts and then dies. It's only done this twice in the last two weeks. This morning being one of those times. I tried a new resistor and no change. I looked around a bit and made sure everything was connected. I found, what I think may be the EGR regulator, and it was not plugged in all the way. I plugged it in and still no change. I unplugged it and it started right up. It is located right next to the resistor., and it's the only thing that is in the same wiring harness as the resistor. There's a bit of corrosion inside the connector. Will it hurt anything to just leave it unplugged, whatever this may be? It's running better now then it has been for months. I've also been having a really bad surging problem. Could that have been the contributing to the cause? Any thoughts?
Thanks.

'90 xj
4.0L

88XJSport said:
Plug the vacuum line now. Unless you have state inspection, you can do without it. I do.
and tell all your buddy's too. If you need info on defeating Jeep emissions control systems, NAXJA is the place to go :dunce:

I've seen the EGR valve hang partially open when it wears. It's intermittent, and can be difficult to catch because of that. Obviously, it's up to you to decide how important it is to have the EGR working properly. Its effect is relatively small, and you won't likely feel it in performance.

You should also check the EGR solenoid itself, because sometimes it can burn out internally and cause a vacuum leak.

Kreutz said:
I've been having trouble with my jeep not wanting to run. It starts and then dies. It's only done this twice in the last two weeks. This morning being one of those times. I tried a new resistor and no change. I looked around a bit and made sure everything was connected. I found, what I think may be the EGR regulator, and it was not plugged in all the way. I plugged it in and still no change. I unplugged it and it started right up. It is located right next to the resistor., and it's the only thing that is in the same wiring harness as the resistor. There's a bit of corrosion inside the connector. Will it hurt anything to just leave it unplugged, whatever this may be? It's running better now then it has been for months. I've also been having a really bad surging problem. Could that have been the contributing to the cause? Any thoughts?
Thanks.

'90 xj
4.0L

The EGR solenoid (near the resistor) is default open, it needs current and the ground through the ECU to close and shut of vacuum to the EGR. Unplugging the electrical connector allows vacuum to always flow to the EGR, causing drivabilty problems.
EGR is normally closed (through ECU to ground) during start up (timer), low engine temp., WOT and idle.
When the motor dies, may be an indicator of whether the EGR is involved or not. It most often happens during a low speed turn, why I can't say but this seems to be one of the first indicators of it sticking open.
Sticky IAC's are fairly common. There acting up is often temperature related. Either cold or sometimes hot, sometimes it's just sporadic and temperature plays no role. I've found periodic cleanings and lubrication helps avoid trouble. Avoid spraying excess amounts of cleaner or oil behind the piston, there is lubrication in there that is needed, it's actually a small motor and a worm gear that drives the piston/plunger in and out. I've found a drop or two of synthetic (motor) oil allowed to flow behind the piston works as well as anything, but may require a couple of applications before the stickiness disappears all together.
Don't try to move the piston by hand the threads may be stripped in the motor or on the worm gear. Trying to move the piston electrically will launch it about ten feet.

Matthew Currie said:
You should also check the EGR solenoid itself, because sometimes it can burn out internally and cause a vacuum leak.

Thanks, I will check it out. I will eventually get this fixed. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't hurting anything by leaving it unplugged.

Back