• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ATF leaking out of Chry 8.25?

BAC478

NAXJA Forum User
I have had an 8" lift for about a month now with almost no problems. A few days ago I noticed a 5" puddle underneath my rear end after it had been sitting at work for 8 hours. The fluid is red and thin like ATF not gear oil and is coming from the pinion seal. The rear axle is rotated so the pinion is parallel with the driveshaft which probably starved the pinion bearing of oil and torched it. Has anyone ever heard of ATF in the rear end or of the pinion bearing and seal failing in a month or less after a lift and axle rotation? Axle is still stock 3.55 gears turning 35's, new gears are sitting in my garage waiting to go in.

Sounds like someone put the wrong stuff in. Drain it and refill with gear oil.

And you might need to change the seals and bearings.

Last edited:
I thought about that too. But is the Redline stuff thin?

Ya its red and looks and feels exactly like ATF. It came out really clean and clear too, like new in the bottle. I thought it might be redline too but it just seems really thin for gear oil and doesnt look burnt.

after my lift I thought my rear end was leaking ATF as well. It turned out that the sye did not make a good enough seal. The ATF went down the driveline so thin that it was unnoticed until it dripped into a puddle below my 8.25.

Check your ATF levels in your tranfercase, or just see if you notice a leak from there.

MN Arch studnt said:
after my lift I thought my rear end was leaking ATF as well. It turned out that the sye did not make a good enough seal. The ATF went down the driveline so thin that it was unnoticed until it dripped into a puddle below my 8.25.

Check your ATF levels in your tranfercase, or just see if you notice a leak from there.
This would be my guess too. I have an Early Bronco that does the same thing. If you wanna' be really brave, you could rub some of that fluid on a painted surface and see if eats away the paint. ATF will do that, but gear oil shouldn't.

You really should be able to tell the difference between ATF and hypoid gear oil by smell. Open some new bottles and compare.

Check the floor pan around the t-case output for splatters to see if the t-case is leaking there. If it is it usually spatters the entire rear axle.

yeah when my trans overheats it leaks down onto the front driveshaft and then drips underneath and leaves a puddle under the front axle.

id bet its from your transfer case, but its easy to pop the fill cap on your rear axle and check the level

Gaius said:
You really should be able to tell the difference between ATF and hypoid gear oil by smell. Open some new bottles and compare.

First thing that came to my mind as well....that and, you'd think that the differential wouldn't survive too long with ATF in it vs. gear oil.

K, I'll ask the question...

Did you change your diff fluid the last time? Did you use redline?

regardless of what color it is, i would bet that the redline stuff doesnt STAY red after being in the diff very long...does it?

Cracked the rubber plug on the diff open and its full of normal gear oil. Looks like the speed sensor on the SYE is leaking. Tried real hard not to slice the o-ring when I put it in cuz I heard that was a problem but I think I might have anyway. The output shaft and front of the driveshaft are still dry so my only guess is that the ATF is dripping off the bottom of the TC and hitting the DS and diff while the jeep is moving. Checked and refilled Tranny and TC. Dont worry I feel pretty stupid for jumping to conclusions before I actually checked anything haha.

BAC478 said:
Cracked the rubber plug on the diff open and its full of normal gear oil. Looks like the speed sensor on the SYE is leaking. Tried real hard not to slice the o-ring when I put it in cuz I heard that was a problem but I think I might have anyway. The output shaft and front of the driveshaft are still dry so my only guess is that the ATF is dripping off the bottom of the TC and hitting the DS and diff while the jeep is moving. Checked and refilled Tranny and TC. Dont worry I feel pretty stupid for jumping to conclusions before I actually checked anything haha.

maybe it's the transfer case input seal or tranny output seal. They tend to leak under the front of the case and find it's way to teh back all over the place. You can find these seals by pulling out the transfer case. If they are bad, fluid will pour out when you disco the t-case from the tranny.

Could be but I dont think so only because the bottom of the t-case is very dry. The fluid trail starts near the speed sensor/little Al plug on the SYE and drips form underneath the SYE and at the back of the t-case. Besides this the rear 1/2 of the DS is coated as well as the entire floorpan starting half way between the back of the t-case and the diff and going to the back of the jeep. The front side of the diff and underside of the axle is also pretty coated. Almost positive it is the o-ring on the sensor at this point though.

BAC478 said:
Could be but I dont think so only because the bottom of the t-case is very dry. The fluid trail starts near the speed sensor/little Al plug on the SYE and drips form underneath the SYE and at the back of the t-case. Besides this the rear 1/2 of the DS is coated as well as the entire floorpan starting half way between the back of the t-case and the diff and going to the back of the jeep. The front side of the diff and underside of the axle is also pretty coated. Almost positive it is the o-ring on the sensor at this point though.

It's a good thing though. Easy fix :cheers:

use petrolum jelly on the o-ring when you install it.... atf, motor oil, gear lube, they all disolve it and it works wonders. old auto-tranny/hydraulic trick my dad taught me.....

terryd said:
use petrolum jelly on the o-ring when you install it.... atf, motor oil, gear lube, they all disolve it and it works wonders. old auto-tranny/hydraulic trick my dad taught me.....

Haha, I had an o-ring in a keg tap that I lubed with petroleum jelly and it dissolved in the middle of a BIG UMass party at my house. We had to switch to backup 30 racks while we hunted down a new tap/o-ring. I think only the cheaper o-rings do it though, if I can remember right the buna-N/Nitrile rings wont dissolve while the cheap neoprene ones will. Thanks for the help guys.

MN Arch studnt said:

I had the same issue.

OK, here's me being Mr. Obvious. Are you sure that the fluid is coming from your vehicle and not from someone that parked there before you? It doesn't appear to be fluid from your buggy.

Back