• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

high oil pressure

altierior

NAXJA Forum User
everything was fine friday. jeep sat in garage all weekend. this morning, the oil pressure gauge is at 80. the pressure stayed high after the engine warmed up, and it stays high at idle, acceleration, and normal driving. what gives?

OP sending unit tends to peg out the guage when it goes south. You could get a mechanichal guage to verify your pressure or spend $13.00 on a new sending unit. Common

ParadiseXJ said:
OP sending unit tends to peg out the guage when it goes south. You could get a mechanichal guage to verify your pressure or spend $13.00 on a new sending unit. Common

X2. It is an easy fix. Mine screwed out by hand.

ParadiseXJ said:

X2 also on oil sending unit. It's usually right above where the oil filter is. At least on my 94 and 96 XJ it is.

I've got the same issue on a sending unit from Autozone that gauged a good $30 from me too. I bought the damn thing only in July too - peice of junk. I'm probably just going to ignore it so long as it still moves relative to rpm even though it reads high.

before you spend the cash on a new one, unplug the sending unit and turn on the jey-- if the pressure is anything other than zero, you've got a short to ground in the wire to it. I agree that it's prolly the sending unit, but it never hurts to check the free stuff first!

--Shorty

Back