• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anti-theft Idea

Trail-Axe

NAXJA Forum User
Use a club! Fact is, when a dirt bag (DB) needs a ride for transportation, he will avoid a vehicle with a club, and find another vehicle easier to steel. Many cars are stolen simply because the DB just needs a ride somewhere.

Those of you who think having a beat-up car makes them exempt should understand that some DB's will steel a beat up car over a really nice one just so they don't look out of place in it.

Cars are stolen for many different reasons. Friday night/ Saturday night just to have wheels to go party and or joy ride. During the week to make a drug run, do a drive-by, or go see the GF. And some are stolen for parts, or to VIN switch/ sub plate and sell.

My recommendation:
1. Use the Club.
2. Fuel kill switch.
3. And if ya are really worried about it being stolen in the driveway in front of your house, you can try this:

4. Cut a hole in the concrete driveway 12” X 12" X 18” deep. Then Weld up some metal dowels to the bottom of some ¾” plate that will extend down into the hole from the plate, and weld some cross pieces to it. You can be creative here. On top of the plate, weld some schedule 80 pipe length wise large enough to fit a Kryptonite Cobra links STD lock through.
http://www.epinions.com/auto-Motorsports-Accessories-All-Kryptonite_Cobralinks_STD_Lock

Place your chain anchor in the hole so the top of the schedule metal 80 pipe is flush with the top of your driveway. Modify some plastic PVC 45 degree pipe connecters to each end of the Schedule 80 metal pipe to act as a guide for your Cobra chain to fit through after you have cemented it all in, and to keep the cement out of the pipe tube while it hardens. Make sure the chain will fit through your anchore before you cement it in.

When it is all done, you will have two small holes in your drive way flush with the rest of your drive. Then all you do is run the Cobra chain through the hole in the driveway, and up and around the axle on your Jeep. The lock on the Cobra chain is very hard to pick, even for a professional lock smith. I did this for my Harley back in 1991; only the same set up was done in my garage.

If you have any questions, let me know. I plan on doing this again for my XJ, and when I do, I will do a right up with pics.

-Gar

Last edited:
If I lived somewhere so bad that I had to crawl under the jeep every night to chain it to the friggin concrete, I'd move.

Robert

clubs are still easy to remove and if they really want your rig, they can get it. Most people that steel the built up XJs are just looking for a joy ride. They know how much money the parts will bring.

x2 on the fuel pump kill switch, alarm with everything (even gps), lowjack, putting your tcase in neutral (in case the thief is a complete moron), etc etc.

clubs are still easy to remove and if they really want your rig

Very true. But when they just want a ride, the club is just too much work. They will pick another vehicle every time.

putting your tcase in neutral (in case the thief is a complete moron)

Nice one, did not think of that one.

Last edited:
you my friend sound very paranoid. or you really speak from experience in which case i agree.............YOU NEED TO MOVE. :)

i would never even think about crawling on the ground every day and locking and unlocking my jeep from the driveway.

and the club only takes 10seconds or less to get around. so don't kid yourself. it's just a gimmick to make you feel safer. in reality the club is about as safe as wearing 5 condoms at once.........with the tips cut off of them.

sounds pretty cool. probably a wee bit obsessive, but cool none the less. Would be cool for people with cabins and such that leave quads, snowmachines, trucks, etc... up there.

I don't think there's a person out there who hasn't seen the club be defeated by a hacksaw in less than 5 minutes.

My Jeep's ugly, nobody wants to steal it anyway.

IslanderOffRoad said:
I don't think there's a person out there who hasn't seen the club be defeated by a hacksaw in less than 5 minutes.

My Jeep's ugly, nobody wants to steal it anyway.
A pair of bolt cutters will have it off in two seconds.....just snip the steering wheel and the club comes right off! Never the less, I always use my club whenever I park in a questionable area.......like the pick-a-part lots!-------------Hans

Narfxj said:
BUY A TRUNK MONKEY!!! If you have seen the commercial you will understand lol.

X2... also doubles as a shoufer (sp) for the daughter and hormone crazed boy she's with.

scorpio_vette said:
you my friend sound very paranoid. or you really speak from experience in which case i agree.............YOU NEED TO MOVE. :)

i would never even think about crawling on the ground every day and locking and unlocking my jeep from the driveway.

and the club only takes 10seconds or less to get around. so don't kid yourself. it's just a gimmick to make you feel safer. in reality the club is about as safe as wearing 5 condoms at once.........with the tips cut off of them.

Live a few more years friend, and your eyes will be opened too. Yes, it is an extreem idea, but it does work. It is best for those of us who do not commute in our Jeeps, or leave it parked while on vacation.

The club does not prevent theft, it deters it. And yes, this is the voice of experience speaking. It comes from a friend with 20 years of vehicle theft investigator experience in the Oakland Bay-Area. He said that the auto thieves he has arrested will leave a car with a club, and steel the one next to it with out one. They are currently working a project using bait cars with cameras. Very cool to see and hear what these guys are thinking when the car is being stolen, and very interesting how quickly some cars can be stolen.

Obviously if the thief wants only your car, he will have it, but many cars are stolen simply because the thief needs to get mobile, and does not have a car at that moment.

As far as moving, that will not be happening. The thread was submitted as an idea, and was not meant to solicit advice on where I should live. Some of us no longer live at home with mommy and daddy, and actually own the home we live in, so moving is not an option for us. Some of us drive Jeeps worth more then what some make in a year, so the thought of it getting stolen could be a real concern regardless of where one lives. Some car thieves will follow you home, and take your car after you have gone to sleep regardless of where you live. Some dirt bags will break into your car, and use your garage door opener to gain access to your home. Then they will rape your wife while you are tied up watching, and then kill both of you. Sometimes I wish I was 25 again, and naive enough to actually believe the world we live in is really safe, but it is not.

Trail-Axe said:
As far as moving, that will not be happening. The thread was submitted as an idea, and was not meant to solicit advice on where I should live. Some of us no longer live at home with mommy and daddy, and actually own the home we live in, so moving is not an option for us.

WOW.......are you talking down to me??? mmmhhh.......sorry to disapoint you, but i haven't lived with mommy and daddy in 8years. I have owned the house i live in for 5 years now. and guess what??? people that own houses move all the time.

Some of us drive Jeeps worth more then what some make in a year, so the thought of it getting stolen could be a real concern regardless of where one lives.

oohhh don't you feel special. i sure hope you make more than $20,000 a year. because that would not be a very impressive jeep. If you had so much money to talk like you have the most expensive rig around, then your cheap ass should be able to afford a decent alarm system on the rig, on the home, and have insurance on the rig so that it wouldn't be a total loss if the rig was stolen. get off your high horse. you're not special. there are always people with more money than you, and that have more valuable stuff then you.

Some dirt bags will break into your car, and use your garage door opener to gain access to your home. Then they will rape your wife while you are tied up watching, and then kill both of you.

you should really get some help. yeah your car can get broken into (has happened to me several times), yes people can break into your house, yes people commit rape (i have way to many friends that have been raped), and yes people get killed. but if you actually live your live around the scenerio that you are drawing up, then you are either have major paranoia, or really do live in the worst place in the world and should move.

Sometimes I wish I was 25 again, and naive enough to actually believe the world we live in is really safe, but it is not

Don't f***ing talk down to me like some little kid. just because i'm younger than you, doesn't mean i've had "such a wonderfull life and live with mommy and daddy". I've paid my own bills since i was 17, i bought my first house when i was 20 (no.......not a little run down shack. sorry to disapoint you), i opened my own business when i was 24. when i rented my first appartment at 17, the only place i could afford was in the ghetto with gun fire regularly EVERY night. I was the only white person in the entire neighborhood, and I drove a nice jeep. I also owned a nice camaro with a 400small block that turned to swiss cheese in a driveby. You know what??? it's called life. enjoy it and deal with the f**k ups. if you're going to so paranoid, maybe you should get rid of the stuff that you are so worried about.

don't try to call out somebody on the net that you don't know just because of their age. who have no idea who's on the other end.

now go take your meds. otherwise the guys in black suits might come get you.

Hey Ladies, shut it. its the internet. I cant believe we argue on here, wasting our time... be adults, drop it. We don't want to read it.
arguing_on_the_internet.jpg

OK back to the subject, The lock from a club as well as your door lock can be easily popped off and broken in seconds with the used of some r-134 refridgerant that you can buy from auto part stores. I laught at guys who use the club... I think its money wasted. It's way better to invest that money into a good alarm system like djblade311 said. If the DB wants it, he'll find a way to get it. I've learned that from personal experience as well. I personally have a loud nice viper alarm both inside and outside of my rig as well as a loaded .45 with some black talon rounds that'll keep the DB on his toes. (and me in jail! haha)

I was thinking about this idea... tell me what you guys think.
A removeable transfer handle. This way you can't get to it from the inside of the cab, just throw it in Nuetral and take the handle. some sort of quick disconnect... Hmmm.....

A lot of good suggestions. I live in a pretty bad area (two gang murders in the past month... one house down from mine). So far I've been lucky, but I think I will try some of the tricks you guys listed. I am really digging the T/C into Neutral..

At least I'm moving to a better area on Dec. 1. Not much of a better area so I still need to incorporate some of these ideas.

I prefer my alarm system... that can page me up to 1/2 mile away and tell me whats going on... if door is open, window broken hatch opened or of its being towed due to angle sensor. Let me tell you, by the time they got 1/2 way through cutting the club off I will be there with a much larger club to beat their a$$.

Selarep wrote:
as well as a loaded .45 with some black talon rounds that'll keep the DB on his toes. (and me in jail! haha)
That is another good idea. I met a woman who was followed home by some DB's and confronted when she exitted her car. They shot her in the chest, she did not have a vest on at the time, and the bullet went through her heart. She returned fire, and I believe she killed the DB. She was an off duty police officer and lived to tell about it, and eventually went back to work.

scorpio_vette wrote:
Don't f***ing talk down to me like some little kid
I did talk down to you. I remember what that felt like when I was your age. It sucked! So accept my most humble appology. Men your age are defending our freedom around the world, as did I at that age.

Gar-Out

wraped up said:
its pretty hard to drive any thing with out a wheel.

I have heard of cars that were stolen, taken to a warehouse and stripped, including the steering wheel and seats. The thief then drove the car to an empty lot and dumped it. This is usually done on your high end vehicles. The thief used a pair of vice-grips to steer with, and sat on a bag of packing prills for a seat. The thief would then show up at the insurance auction and buy the car back dirt cheep and re-install all the original equipment and then sell it. This was perdy popular back in the early 1990's, until the insurance companies and the police got wise.

The club does "deter" the thief who just needs a car for transportation, as most of the time in these situations; all they have is a screw driver and or a knife, not a hack saw. It’s just easier to steel the car next to yours with out a club, then to have to deal with the club once they are in. The reason Jeep Cherokees are near the top of the stolen car list is because it is so easy to steel. Make it a little harder, and you may still have a ride home after your done shopping.

Peace.

Are Cherokees with the transponder ignition key easy targets? I always thought they were relatively safe from anyone that doesn't have access to a capable scan tool.

Back