• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My front sway bar setup

5.2poweredxj

NAXJA Forum User
I got bored today and mess with my sway bar on the front of my 88. I had a spacer in there but it wasn't right. So I made new ones today that 4" block that moves it down and forward. Also took the bolts out of the end links and replace them with hitch pins for a disconnect. When I disconect them and swing them up the sway bar gets completly out the way. Here some pics. Lmk if this should work. I plan on welding the spacer into a little front skid plate and welding it to the front bumper so everything is together.

2523955_51_full.jpg

2523955_52_full.jpg

2523955_50_full.jpg

Instead of the spacers, wouldn't be easier and more functional to extend the links? I Like the quick disconnect, if you make that link longer, you can keep the sway bar where it is. I think that would be more stable.

Not sound mean but thats the dumbest idea I have ever seen. Your just asking for some nice damage. U have now added an extra 3-4 inches of metal thats gonna bash on something when you go wheeling. Like gluentape said it would have been better to just extend the links not the mounting location.

Which do you think will happen first, the hitch clip breaking or the pin wallowing a hole in the mount until the mount bends and breaks? To be brutally honest, I don't think that setup will work well at all.

kunaji said:
Which do you think will happen first, the hitch clip breaking or the pin wallowing a hole in the mount until the mount bends and breaks? To be brutally honest, I don't think that setup will work well at all.
My bet is that the hole will wallow out first. ;)
Clips are no different to other disconnects so based my decision of that.

That setup is functional, but it's definitely the biggest sway bar drop bracket that I have seen for sure. You won't have to worry about it breaking or anything, it's just going to serve well as a snow plow as well as a sway bar.
I use a combination of drop brackets that came with my Rough Country lift, and then when I went with a bigger lift, I extended my sway bar links. If you ever want to change your setup, I would recommend to just cut them and weld in a steel tube similar to what I did. Here's a pic:
Jeep007.jpg

I was just trying for week. Right now feels like a stock unlifted jeep going down the road. I will loose the drop bracket and lengthen the links but I thought about welding a tab on the other side of lower mount that way it not just on one side of the pin but it then be in the middle.

No rattles yet and yes my jeep is rusty. It actually a big turd that some rebuilt years back. The roof under the paint is brown and the rest of it is dark blue and they repainted the whole thing light blue. passenger side rear door is white and nothing is hook up to it. The power lock doesn't work and it has the crank handle sticking threw the door panel but they left the switch there for the PW.

211,xxx miles of wisconsin winters.

If the hitch pin had a 90 degree ben as opposed to the angle it has it would be less likely to pull through the other way

I really think the torsional stress is going to wallow out the hole and pull the hitch pin out -- eventually. Since you're lifted, did you go with heavier rate springs in the front? If so, try it (very carefully) without the sway bar. It's really not that bad...
Better to always drive it more carefully with no swaybar, than to be driving like you have one when that hitch pin pulls itsself through the hole, and suddenly you don't have one!!

I run without any sways, Rusty's 3" HD kit. I ran without sways for awhile on the stock suspension and it wasn't as good but not bad either.

I plan to re-add the front swaybar w/ disconnects eventually.

Front springs are out of 2006 F150 so there stiff but they do flex until I run out of shocks.

I figure I cure all your guys worries on my sway bar setup. Currenly have rough country's sway bar disconnects and 6" lift shocks. Also got rid of the ford springs and have rusty's 6.5" lift springs. As for the hitch pin it never rattle or wobble the hole but when RC had there countdown to x-mas sale I bought the shocks and the disconnects. So I have no spacer anywhere on my jeep.

2523955_69_full.jpg

I too did this for mine:

jeeperguy21 said:
That setup is functional, but it's definitely the biggest sway bar drop bracket that I have seen for sure. You won't have to worry about it breaking or anything, it's just going to serve well as a snow plow as well as a sway bar.
I use a combination of drop brackets that came with my Rough Country lift, and then when I went with a bigger lift, I extended my sway bar links. If you ever want to change your setup, I would recommend to just cut them and weld in a steel tube similar to what I did. Here's a pic:
Jeep007.jpg

I think it was easier and a more stable way than dropping the mounting points.

I made mine Quick Disconnects per THIS writeup. I found that this setup too wallowed out the hole. My solution was to weld the hitch pins in the hole so they don't wable around. Now, when you take the cotter pin out and remove the link, the hitch pin stays in place.

Back