• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Swap. 93- guts to a 97+?

NHxj4x4

NAXJA Member #1132
My 93 which has a 4.6L Stroker is in disrepair. I want to dismantle it and throw everything into a 97+.

I have:

4.6L Stroker
NP231
AW4

Is there anything that I should watch out for with the years of compatibility? Are there any years that my stuff will not fit into?

Thanks,

Todd

only "compatibility" issues I could think of would be issues with the OBDll system, but switching out a few sensors may fix that, but don't quote me.

jeepfreak84 said:
only "compatibility" issues I could think of would be issues with the OBDll system, but switching out a few sensors may fix that, but don't quote me.

Right, I figured that. I didn't know if they had any other things that I need to be aware of. I know that in 2000 they went distributer-less, does that mean that 2000 and up are out, or would I simply put the 2000+ distributer-less stuff in there. My engine is a mutt really, I used mostly 93 sensors, but everything else is from other years. Ran great in my 93 though. Now I need a new body basically and want to go as new as possible in hopes that it is not all rotted.

You may like the stroked 97 better anyway. In 96 the block was reinforced to better dampen NVH (noise, vibration, and harmonics), and part of that upgrade included a main bearing girdle that ties them together very nicely. That's my ultimate plan for a stroker one of these years when I get around to it.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Yucca-Man said:
You may like the stroked 97 better anyway. In 96 the block was reinforced to better dampen NVH (noise, vibration, and harmonics), and part of that upgrade included a main bearing girdle that ties them together very nicely. That's my ultimate plan for a stroker one of these years when I get around to it.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Already have the stocker. I'm Taking EVERYTHING off my wilted 93 and I want to transplate them. If you re-read my post you'll see what I mean.

Actually, I don't see that - wasn't clear if you were transplanting a built 93 stroker to a 97+ or if you were going to rebuild a 97+ motor with the 93 parts. 'Disrepair' is such a vague term...some people in my house (wife, especially) would always consider my XJ to be in 'disrepair' no matter how often I drive it. :shrug:

Yucca-Man said:
Actually, I don't see that - wasn't clear if you were transplanting a built 93 stroker to a 97+ or if you were going to rebuild a 97+ motor with the 93 parts. 'Disrepair' is such a vague term...some people in my house (wife, especially) would always consider my XJ to be in 'disrepair' no matter how often I drive it. :shrug:
OK then, sorry if I was vauge, you must be busy watching the Sox beat up on the Rockies again.

Can I take my 93 setup, which includes and is pre-exsisting, a:

4.6L Stroker
AW4
NP231

and then put that stuff into a 97+ without anything more than a few sensors? Are there any years (IE 2000 and 2001) that will not work for this swap due to changes before the XJ was discontinued?

Back