• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to do first?

1996cc

NAXJA Forum User
Seems like a total newbie question, but I'm struggling with it....

Rock rails and/or bumpers - or - frame stiffeners?

I like the idea of buying T&T's stiffeners (rather than angle or channel), but for $200 (shipped), that'd buy a lot of steel to start on rock rails and bumpers.

What do ya'll think?

Recovery 1st
Armor 2nd

After that it is personal preference.

Yep...i did recovery first too. Tow hooks for the front and a hitch for the back. You're going to get stuck eventually (as i found out last week)...it'll pay off.

I decided to do the lift/tire thing now as i need new tires anyways (good excuse :D ).

As has been said,
1. Recovery
2. Skids

I would do sliders, then front bumper, then rear bumper in that order.

PS. You comming to NWFest in a couple of weeks??

Michael

Got the recovery covered for now - running stock tow hooks until I build a beefier front bumper. And I have a rear hitch.

I was asking about the frame STIFFENERS, not rock rails. Versus the rails/bumpers. Thanks for the info.

If you KNOW you are going to add rockrails AND some sort of frame stiffener then put the stiffeners on first. That way you can build the RR onto the stiffeners.

IntrepidXJ said:
do you really have a need for the stiffeners at this point?

That's what I'm asking. I just don't want to be 2 years down the road with a bent body and mad that I didn't do these first.

Not a lot of rocks (areas like Tillimook, Elbe, etc...). Will have 5-6" lift and 33"s within the next month or so (just about have all the peices rounded up).

I would save for Rock Rails, but then again. Look at me, I have rock rails, and more armor sitting in my garage than mounted on my Jeep.

Come to NW Fest and learn like I did, about what your Jeep needs. Every time I went out, I learned why I needed something else, by watching what everyone else could do, that I could not.

Jason

Another plus for the TnT stiffeners is that they act as a skid for the frame rail. I bent the the frame rail on my driver side and it will take some massaging w/ a BFH to fit stiffeners.

Back