• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Couple of questions about my XJ

futbol4x4xj

NAXJA Forum User
Couple question for you all to hopefully help me out with.

1. I have a 1995 Cherokee sport. 4.0L 5 speed. Guessing it is the np231 transfer case. 4inch trail master lift. When I put it in 4lo there is a grinding type noise which sounds like it is coming from the front drive shaft possibly axle when the jeep is moving. I haven't looked to far in to it but was just curious what you guys thought. It does not do it when it is in 4hi.
2. When I turn to the left there is a bump/knock in the steering? Any Idea? Looks to be the stock pitman arm does that make a difference?

3. Do I need the control arm relocate brackets? They hang down low and looks like it will be getting hung up on rocks.

Thanks for all and any help.

Mike

Are you shifting into 4lo while you are moving?

Have you tried it with the tranny in neutral? That worked on my old 1991 XJ.

If I were you, I'd try to tighten the bolts on pretty much every piece of hardware touched by the Previous Owner during the lift. Could be as simple as a bolt backing out. Or, could be a bushing is wasted....

:)

futbol4x4xj said:
I have a 1995 Cherokee sport. 4.0L 5 speed. Guessing it is the np231 transfer case. 4inch trail master lift. When I put it in 4lo there is a grinding type noise which sounds like it is coming from the front drive shaft possibly axle when the jeep is moving. I haven't looked to far in to it but was just curious what you guys thought. It does not do it when it is in 4hi.
Tranny in Neutral, Jeep at a near-standstill, then shift in to 4Lo.

If you're not sure about the t-case although with the 5-speed it should be the NP231:
NP231 shift pattern 2H - 4H - N - 4L
NP242 shift pattern 2wd - 4part-time - 4full-time - N - 4LO

Or you could look on the tag on the rear of the case.
futbol4x4xj said:
When I turn to the left there is a bump/knock in the steering? Any Idea? Looks to be the stock pitman arm does that make a difference?
Stock pitman arm is fine for a 4" lift. Have someone you trust turn the wheel back and forth while you listen for and try to isolate the source of the noise. Trackbar, steering box, and unit bearings all pop to mind.

futbol4x4xj said:
Do I need the control arm relocate brackets? They hang down low and looks like it will be getting hung up on rocks.
They really don't hang down any lower than long arms would; there is a lip at the back of the Drop Bracket that could be trimmed off with a grinder though. http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/re_db.html

new_arms.jpg

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back