• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weak clutch disengage

sherman08

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so just this evening when i was coming home from work my clutch started pussin out on me again, ive had this problem before, last year. All new clutch plate and all that jazz very expensive fix. It could'nt have gone out already could it. has anyone heard of such problems in an 88 before?

Mine did the same thing when I was in seward and then again last year when I was in some snow. I was missing the pilot bushing :eyes: so it eventually ate the front seal in my puegeot leaking fluid and eventually took out the slave cylinder. So after having this problem twice I started putting together the parts for a ax-15 swap. I think I am pretty good at the clutch bleeding thing now. Did you do the work yourself? The first time I had to have it done cause I was a little busy with my ship in Dry-Dock.

That is a real quote I ran across when reading about an engine problem. I thought it was quote worthy since it was so wrong. Needless to say he was flammed

Im Sure it is osmosis well ill go pound on it with somthing for a while and see if i cant figure out whats wrong with it, if anyone has more info on an trans swap that might be helpfull i hate my puegeot

just do a search the one to look for is a ax-15. shoot for a 95 or later bellhousing so that you have the external slave cylinder. its a pretty straightforward swap. you will however have to rebuild your transfercase to a new input shaft...or find a newer tcase.

I just added more brake fluid and bled the system, works better than new. I'll keep watching for leaks.

kool sounds like you are good to go. Just keep an eye on it, mine would play games on longer trips.

the tube that runs from the clutch pedal cylinder down to the slave cylinder includes a section of flex hose that runs fairly close to the #6 exhaust header tube. The heat can cause it fail over time; more so if you have the all to common cracked header which allows even more heat to act on the flex hose. It can also be a problem if the hose comes loose from the clamp holding it in place at the firewall.

Back