• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to this...Wanna lift my stock 1990 XJ

socronaut

NAXJA Forum User
I am all new to this. Can anyone advise what to do. Just got a 1990 xj and want to put my 33" Super Swamper Boggers on it. Need to know what all is entailed into lifting this ride. I'm looking to go as cheap as possible. Know what to do to the rear, but not the front. How bout the drive shafts? etc....

Your best bet is going to be getting friendly with the "search" function. Also check out the FAQ section.

In short, you're going to need about 4.5" lift, which means new rear leafs, new front coils, longer front control arms, possibly control arm drop brackets, obviously new shocks, longer brake lines, a longer or adjustable track bar, and adjusting your bumpstops. For your drivetrain, you'll want to regear - 33's are alot for the 4.0 to turn with stock gears; you'll most likely need a SYE (slip-yoke eliminator) because your driveshaft angle might give you some bad vibrations.

(edit) - Oh yeah, and this doesn't really come in any sort of "cheap" option. There are ways to cut corners, but nothing cheap.

That's all i can think of off the top of my head, browse the modified section, check out the FAQ and use what you pick up there to search. Oh, and welcome to the show! :cheers:

Hiya and welcome to NAXJA.

Get yourself a copy of Eric Zappe's book: "High-Performance Jeep Cherokee XJ Builder's Guide 1984-2001." He is also a member of this club.

I purchased the book a while back and found it to be very informative and a very good reference for my current XJ build project.

http://www.amazon.com/High-Performance-Cherokee-Builders-1984-2001-Design/dp/1932494146

L8r,
Gar

P.S. Go Cheap now, and you may pay more later.

get LTB's instead of Boggers there a hell of alot cheaper

99XJeeper said:
4.5" isnt at all necessary for 33's depending on how much you are willing to trim from the fenders.

Your statement may be a slightly misleading?

From my own experience:
92 XJ with RE 4.5" lift running 32" GY MTR's - I have trimmed fenders tremendously and can't see anyway to run 33's without more lift!

Not much fender you can trim on rear.

I have the RE 4.5 superflex installed. I am running BFG 33x10.5 ATs on stock alloy wheels. I chose the narrow tires and stock backspacing to keep the tires inside the fenders at flex. I have not done any trimming.

I had to adjust the steering stops out, so the tires won't rub on the LCA in the front. There is about 3/4 inch of clearance on the leaf springs in the rear. Of course I had to set the bumpstops so the tires won't rub the inside of the inner fender at full flex. 33s on 4.5 is very doable.

I went with the RE 4.5 lift, Control arm drop brackets (for nice road manners). Running 32 x10.5 BFGs XT. Works great, but not cheap. I have close to 2 kilobucks in lift related parts (including slip yoke eliminator). If you swap in D44 in bck with this setup, you cn use a second front drive shft for the rear.

I think that Rough Country would be a good, less expensive way to go. Do the search and read the thread that is titled Rough Country. The customer service is top notch. There are a lot of people who are going to chime in here and agree, or to talk smack. But I'll be a customer of theirs until something drastic happens. But to each their own, right? Good luck man

I think that Rough Country would be a good, less expensive way to go. Do the search and read the thread that is titled Rough Country. The customer service is top notch. There are a lot of people who are going to chime in here and agree, or to talk smack. But I'll be a customer of theirs until something drastic happens. But to each their own, right? Good luck man

You may not need any sort of driveshaft corrections. Install the lift and go from there.

socronaut said:
I am all new to this. Can anyone advise what to do. Just got a 1990 xj and want to put my 33" Super Swamper Boggers on it. Need to know what all is entailed into lifting this ride. I'm looking to go as cheap as possible. Know what to do to the rear, but not the front. How bout the drive shafts? etc....

Welcome to NAXJA

First off... scenarios just like yours have been absolutely beat to death here lately on this board. If you search just a little you'll find probably hundreds of posts just like yours.

What you'll soon realize is the fact everyone's opinions are typically different.. I for one like a low center of gravity. Some people will tell you that there's no way you can fit a 33" tire on 4.5" of lift.. Some are going to tell you all you need is a Budget Boost and a cut off wheel.

When you said as cheap as possible... your best bet will then be to find used parts IMO. Also I'm guessing what you plan to do out back is a block... right? Everyone on here can spend all night telling you exactly what to do (and not to do) to fit 33's because the options are endless..

Ideally new front and rear springs would be nice... but if you want cheap.. get some blocks, lift shackles, spacers (maybe some used 3" lift coils), brake lines, shocks, and a cut off wheel or two.

I'm running 37's on around 6" of lift... I'd say you could get away w/ a BB on 33's if you bumpstop it.

Just my $0.02

Back