• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hmmm, tranny swap?!

Mopar It

NAXJA Forum User
i got the 5 speed peugeot in my 89', and a 231, im building the 231 very soon with a low range case 2lo add-on and novak shifter. curious about throwing in an ax-15 for ease of repair and common-ness. will i need the ax-15 'type' 231t-case to swap in an ax15? or can i use mine? also do i need an adapter from the engine to the tranny when replacing my peugeot with an ax15?

AFAIK the AX-15 is a near bolt-in.

It will bolt straight up to the engine, and if you flip the tranny mount for the BA-10 I've heard it'll bolt in as well.

The bad news is that the 1987-1990 T-cases were 21 spline, and 1991 and up 4 litre transmissions were 23 spline. You could swap the input gear though.

:)

Mopar It said:
so i must get an ax-15 from an 87-90?

The Peugeot was used behind 1987-(mid)1989 4.0L. The AX-15 was phased in when the BA-10 was phased out.

No matter what AX-15 you get, you'll have to either change transfer cases entirely or change input gears - the BA-10 was 21-spline, and the AX-15 is 23-spline. The 1990 will have the same size pilot (for the crankshaft bushing,) while later pilots are somewhat larger. The replacement bushing is supposed to be the mid-1970's CJ w/304 & three-speed manual, and it's a fairly common part.

You'll have to move the crossmember back to the second set of holes in the frame rails, and the nutserts may be rusted away there (mine were.) If you cut access holes in the side of the framerail, you can get a nut and washer on the screws there to hold it up.

I do not believe that the Peugeot mount will work with the AX-15 - but the AX-15 mount is cheap enough that you should replace it anyhow.

You may find it handy to read through this as well - http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70388

Good luck!

Oh - I think Novak carries just the input gear for your transfer case, so you may not have to get the whole thing (I had a donor vehicle to work with, so it wasn't a problem for me...) -Ed.

Back