• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HVAC not blowing from the vents...

tow2topgun

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 85 XJ V6 2.8L. My blower works fine and I have defrost that works. However, I have no flow coming out of my dash vents. I was thinking that I possibly had a blower vent hose not connected but from what I can find, they are all hooked up. I am wondering if it could be a vac. line that controls a open/close valve that would be loose. Does anyone have any diagrams of the HVAC system? Thanks in advance for any help.

I have a '99 F-250 that had a similar problem last month. It might not work for you, but it is worth a try. I sprayed some WD-40 into the dash vents and let it sit for a while. That must have loosened things up because the vents switch on and off now. I think the motor that opens and closes depending on where you wnt the flow to go, stuck. The oil must have busted it free.

Good luck!

my vacuum line that runs to the canister behind the bumper rubbed on the fender and was cut in two. My vents where stuck on defrost. Check for a vacuum leak like you said

I had the same problem and the fix was the plastic hose to the canister behind the bumper - it was broken. I replaced it and now all is fine (with that issue anyway).

I have the same problem, I'm only getting minimal air through the dash vents at all fan speed settings unless it is set on "defrost" (setting to the farthest right on my 1990). If on defrost, it works as it should but in any other setting there is no hot air blowing into the dash vents.

Ok, up on the front right wheel well. I have two round canisters that look like two big cans. My freaking cruise control vac tubes were hooked up to that a while back. This XJ was a MESS when I got it (for free I might add) but I am slowly but surely bringing life back into it. Do any of ya'll know where I might find a schematic on the HVAC system?

The Chilton Books are good but you have to be careful with the years cause not all years have the same line layout and they may say from 87 to 96 is all the same when thats not the cause. I've found numerous typos in them and the Haynes book (Especially with my crossbred 90 XJ and YJ). If someone raped your Jeep with the vacuum lines I would looking into getting a Factory Service Manual for your particular year. My YJ had all the vacuum lines virtually disconnected when I got it. I figured everything out one day from the manual and she runs alot smoother, idles better, and gets better fuel mileage.

Any earthly idea how I would find the correct part # for the manual? M.R.244 or M.R. 247 are the ones listed on eBay but I ain't ever used one of these manuals.

the vac hose runs behind your battery, that is the major prob with the line

I don't believe my lines are behind my battery. I checked them this morning and none of the ones connected to the canisters were behind the battery. I do have one vac line that is hooked to the canister that goes to a blue hard line. I believe this line goes to my Tansfer Case.....Is this wrong?

I think you are looking at the wrong canisters. The canister you are looking for is literally behind the bumper on the passenger side. It is not found in the engine compartment, nor is it visible. Back me up on this guys because I haven't had to monkey with mine, but I beleive we are talking about the one BEHIND/INSIDE the bumper. Good luck dude!

AX-15 5 Speed
NP 231
3" Skyjacker Lift
YJ front brake lines
JKS quicker disconnects
31" BFG Mud Terrain KM

AHHHHH....I hope your wrong! but like everything else on the old XJ, you are probably correct and it will be a PITA to get to and repair. Thanks.

XJ AV8R said:
I think you are looking at the wrong canisters. The canister you are looking for is literally behind the bumper on the passenger side. It is not found in the engine compartment, nor is it visible. Back me up on this guys because I haven't had to monkey with mine, but I beleive we are talking about the one BEHIND/INSIDE the bumper.
However - I believe the OP is asking about an earlier model, '85 I believe. That's not necessarily going to have the same layout the 87+ models do.

If the vacuum bottle is in the same place though, it will be right here:
vac_botl.jpg

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Nice pix Yucca but the early ones have a coffee can type mounted on the passenger fender behind the battery about 18".

Thanks dude that helps. Who in the hell would of thought to place a vac bottle in a place like that?? For the HVAC at that. Suprised they didn't put it IN the gas tank!

Back