• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad oil leak

cbarto

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000XJ with a 4.0L that has a bad oil leak. It is leaking by the filter, YES the filter is tight! It is leaking around where the filter connection enters the block. Does anyone know if there is a gasket there? I cannot get a torque bit in between the unibody and the fitting to try to tighten it or remove it. The only plus side here is it is lubricating everything back of the front axle. Any help would be great.

http://caloosajeepers.com/

You can get a set of o-rings (there are 3 of them I think) from the dealer. NAPA or autozone may have them too. Its a messy job but not too difficult. While you have it out, replace the passenger side engine mount and put the bolt in the other way so you can remove the engine mount without removing the oil filter adapter if (more likely when) it goes bad.

if you have a craftsman 2 piece torx bit,or any torx that is made from 2 pieces you can brive out the center(the torx bit ) and put a wrench on it, probably need a cheater pipe also, they are tight as hell.

I have the same year xj with the same problem in the same spot! I've been putting it off since I didn't think it was worth ruining an oil change for but it's gradually getting worse or the oil is gathering in places, from what I've found here there is 1 o-ring for that adapter but noone has in stock, napa couldn't find it but could prob match if you bring in old one. so plan ahead and try to have one ordered to save some headaches later. When you do it let me know how it goes since I have to do the exact same thing

Definitely sounds like you need to replace the o-rings on the oil filter adapter. http://yuccaman.com/jeep/filter.html may give you an idea of what's involved. There are about three different styles of bolts that hold the adapter in place; so yours may be different.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

i did mine last week. It was a very easy thing to do. It will make a big mess. I didnt have the torx one though. I put a wrench on it and it came right off.

Back