• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve Cover Bolts

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to replace the valve cover gasket and as always, am going to attempt to make my Jeep better…
I have a question about the bolts…Can I find somewhere a stainless steel or something better than the original ones that look rusty and beat up? What should I be looking for and what size?
Thanks in advance
Boris
P.S. 99XJ…

The screws on my RENIX are 1/4"-20 x 1" - so I'd either get those, or if they went Metric, they should be something like M6-1.0 x 25m/m.

Since they're low-stress, you can install pretty much anything you like - stainess, brass, probably even glass-filled Nylon - as long as you torque the bolts to 85 pound-inches, and do so evenly. I've had good luck using brass bolts, socket heads, and Chevvy valve cover studs.

Take one with you when you go to check for replacements - I think it's going to end up being either one of those two sizes I gave you in the beginning...

5-90

Back