• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Advice!

Freaky McPants

NAXJA Forum User
This weekend I am going to be towing a friends car to tennessee. I will be hauling it on a u-haul car trailer. I figure the car weighs between 3500 and 4000 pounds. Bad Idea? Or can it be done? 96 Sport, ChyCo 8.25, 3.5 in lift unknowen brand.

I wouldn't do it. You could really feel my XJ behind my sons truck (GMC) with a U-Haul trailer and that was only for a short distance,2mi.
I can't imagine towing anything of substantial weight with the XJ. Steering will be all over the place and we all know how "great"(lol) XJ brakes are without a load.
I've had an empty flatbed car hauler behind my XJ (91) and could really feel it.

I wouldn't do it. You figure a 4000lb car on a 1500lb trailer?

Bad mojo. But if you must, take it slow. Those u-haul trailers use surge brakes and they suck ass. And if you have an automatic, downshift it and run it at high RPM's climbing hills. Don't let it hunt for gears. Also, if you decide to do it, head out to a parking lot and do a full on "panic stop" from 40 - 45 MPH. That will really tell you if you want to do it.

I tow my wheeler with a 97 ZJ. The trailer with the rig on it rings in at about 6000lbs. It can get spooky at times, but I take it slow (nothing over 60mph) and am careful.

the car weighs 3500-4000 and the trailer weighs how much? Your XJ weighs how much? Don't do it, you might kill somebody, and even if you don't kill somebody your still gonna f*ck up the jeep.

Thanks for the replies. I am not going to do it, I was having some second thoughts about it in the first place. I'll just have to let my friend know I cant do it. Sucks for him, but I cant afford to break my jeep in Tennessee. I just needed someone to talk me out of it, so I really appreciate all the replies.

The highest tow rating for an XJ is 5000lbs. I figure a Uhaul trailer weighs in at no less then 1600lbs, add that to the lowest estimate for the car (3500) and your still over the 5000lbs rating.
That said, tow ratings are stupid and not at all based on safety, they are based on marketing and finances.
That said, My opinion is that the XJ isnt up to the task of towing that load any distance. If I were in a pinch, I may attempt it across town, but definataly no long distance towing and definately not with a rental trailer.
Long distance towing + questionable tow rig + questionable trailer = trouble.

Freaky McPants said:
Thanks for the replies. I am not going to do it, I was having some second thoughts about it in the first place. I'll just have to let my friend know I cant do it. Sucks for him, but I cant afford to break my jeep in Tennessee. I just needed someone to talk me out of it, so I really appreciate all the replies.

U-Haul rents regular old pickup trucks too.

Back