• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which upgrade to buy myself for Christmas...

rocknxj

NAXJA Forum User
So, here's the skinny. I usually buy myself something for Christmas so my wife does not have to (and to ensure I don't end up with soap on a rope).

Instead of actual searching for the best upgrade available under $300, I thought I'd ask you Jeeple for your advice, considering the value of your collective knowledge and all.

Should I go for a set of rock rails, an Air Raid cold air intake to go with my new Magnaflow muffler, a front locker, fuel tank skid, or something else equally cool to improve performance and trail readiness?

Sure, I love soap on a rope with all its soapy roapiness, but I really want to spend my money on da Jeep. I'm already sporting a moderate 3.5" lift, BFGs, front hitch, Conn Ferr rack, and other assorted goodies, so I've got the basics covered.

Please reply. It's time to buy.

Oh, and this Christmas season, BUY AMERICAN.

Last edited:
First question.... Do you wheel rocks?

Second question... If so, do you like to open your doors?

My vote is rock rails.. I've never understood seeing rigs on 35's, locked, winch, etc. and no rock rails???

Rails.........

Would you reather drop the soap and accept the consequences?

Armor and tow points

I'd go for the rockrails and gas tank skid.

alexer03 said:
ajs superrails, off camber protection and you can get to your roof rack easier with the side step bar

x2

rails

and please move the air intake to #5,987 on your list....what a waste.

ZachMan said:
x2

rails

and please move the air intake to #5,987 on your list....what a waste.

So, the predominate theory is capability first, then performance, followed by make believe performance. Looks like I may be going for the rails first, then the front locker.

Does anyone feel their air intake system increases performance?

what size tire do you have and what axle gear ratio?

air intake doesnt do much, especially on the trail, maybe a little performance increase for a daily driver racing around town. money better spent somewhere else.

rocknxj said:
So, the predominate theory is capability first, then performance, followed by make believe performance. Looks like I may be going for the rails first, then the front locker.

changes I noticed after installing cold air intake

1. if someone was looking under my hood, they would ask how it worked, so I said 'ok' a lot more than usual

2. on the trail I noticed I went the same speed, and the same RPM's as I did before the intake, milege wasn't affected on teh trail either.

3. I tried noticing a difference in pick-up by flooring it more often from stop, which negated any milege increase I may have had... end result, none noticed.

4. I had much less money to spend on useful upgrade than before I bought the cold air intake.

5. I felt rather silly seeing how easy it is to make your own cold air intake, for much less money.

6. I decided to replace it with something I liked better, made myself and suited my needs better.

7. I will be selling K&N Intake Tube.

See the post (just above or below this one right now) on replacing your rockers with 2x4/2x6/3x5 whichever to make rock rails. I made mine for about $100 in steel.
Take left over $200 and buy some more armor, or save it until you have enough for a locker too.

Deifinitely rock rails and gas tank skid plate. I did mine in the wrong order and I had to use a hammer to be able to open and close doors and my gas tank capacity went down a bit.
Home made rock rails < $100
Stock gas tank skid $20
Aussie front locker $230

If you can justify $350 you will have a nice rig.

rocknxj said:

The stock air filter has far far more flow than a 4.0 can *EVER* use.

The intake is already cold air ish.

The k&n lets in a ton of dust and grime that is really hard on your engine.

You can buy a lifetime of stock air filters for the cost. Or in this case, some rock rails or an aussie to go up front.

Rock rails first.

rocknxj said:
Oh, and this Christmas season, BUY AMERICAN.

And what exactly would that be? Name five gift suggestions.

xjohnnyc said:
And what exactly would that be? Name five gift suggestions.
Let's see...

1) Used Jeep Cherokee

2) Jeep Wrangler

3) Jeep Grand Cherokee

4) Jeep Commander

5) Jeep Liberty

Not American enough? How about anything from the following companies:

1) Warn

2) Quadratec

3) Magnaflow

4) Rubicon Express

5) Rusty's

Last edited:
That's fine for YOU. :) What about the wife, kids, parents, siblings, friends? Are you buying Jeep parts for all your loved ones?

Back