• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing tranny cross member?

The Adam Blaster

NAXJA Forum User
I have no idea why this thing is so hard to take off, but it's proving to be a serious PITA!!

I've got an after market skid plate for the t-case, and it's bolted to the cross member with 3 carriage bolts. I don't know if this is causing interference or what.

How "exactly" is the cross member supposed to be removed? How many bolts are holding it in place?

Cross member is held on by two bolts and two nuts, unless you have the stock tcase skid and then add two nuts.
It is probably sealed in place with road grime, maybe paint / rust etc... Try a big hammer after supporting the drivetrain and unbolting it all. Should be 14 MM if I remember correct.

There's a mixture of bolts and studs with nuts holding it on in 4 places (the outer edges of the crossmember)

Then there's 4 points that hold it to the tranny mount. Those are what the holes on the bottom side of the crossmember are for - accessing those bolts.

Not sure about your skid, I'd assume that would interfere.

Don't forget to support the transfer case/transmission!

Right now i've got a 2x4 slapped up and under the tanny pan with a jack stand below that. As far as i know, and have asked others, this should support the whole assembly just fine.

I removed 2 nuts (1/2 inch) through the holes in the cross member, but the holes on the rear of the cross member are obscured by the skid plate. I can't even see that there are holes there. But you're saying there is two more nuts in there?

I guess i'll have to take that skid plate off first? I would have done that tonight, but i can't even get a wrench or socket up and behind there to access the nuts attached to the carriage bolts holding the plate in place.
I was considering taking the angle grinder to the head of the carriage bolts, but wanted to ask on here first.

Should be. My 95's uses 2 contact points on the trans and then 4 contact points on the crossmember.

As a matter of fact, one of the nuts holding the mount to the trans was loose. Had to tighten that today. Not sure how it got loose considering it was installed with an impact...

Back