• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission shifting to early

desertrandy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 cherokee with the 4.0 engine, aw4 transmission and NP231 transfer case. Last weekeing while coming down a steep grade on a trail near my house I shifted into 4lo and put the transmission in the 1-2 position hoping to use the gearing to slow my descent. Problem is once I started downhill after about 10 feet the trans shifted to 2nd gear and I had to ride the brakes down. This happened two more times and finally on a 4th hill the transmission stayed in first. Usually if you want to get the tranmission to shift to second gear you pretty much have to red line it, but this time it shifted into second gear at a low 1200 rpm just as I started to roll downhill. Any help would be appreciated

That's typical for the AW-4. There are a brazilian posts about rewiring the tranny to prevent that. Search "tiptronic" as one possibility.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back