• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35's-37's

Matt98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
You guys found any reason to run a tire bigger than a 35 inch tire in the NW? I was thinking about going to 37's along with the front 44 I'm building, but I need someone to talk me out of it. I DD this rig, and I'm starting to think I should just stay at 35's and be much more reliable. Whata ya think?

Matt98XJ said:
You guys found any reason to run a tire bigger than a 35 inch tire in the NW? I was thinking about going to 37's along with the front 44 I'm building, but I need someone to talk me out of it. I DD this rig, and I'm starting to think I should just stay at 35's and be much more reliable. Whata ya think?

what you just said, you don't need a 44 anyway just give it to me.

I'm running a HP D44 front axle with 34" M/Ts for the simple reason I want to be able to beat on it without ever worrying about breaking a shaft, but I've never found myself wanting or needing bigger tires than 34's. Frankly, I went everywhere on 33's....

I'm about 6 months out for needing new tires and I'm debating going back to 33's. Whatever I end up choosing, I won't go any bigger than 35's.

-----Matt-----

Yeah, thats the reason for building the 44, I don't wanna be breaking stuff. But then when I started building the front I started thinking about a bigger tire. There has only been one situation that I said, "man I need a bigger tire" and that was in Moab. If I do stick with the 35's, I'll keep the rear 44 instead of building the 9 inch. So that could save me some money too. Although I get a pretty good discount. =)

Matt98XJ said:
Yeah, thats the reason for building the 44, I don't wanna be breaking stuff. But then when I started building the front I started thinking about a bigger tire. There has only been one situation that I said, "man I need a bigger tire" and that was in Moab. If I do stick with the 35's, I'll keep the rear 44 instead of building the 9 inch. So that could save me some money too. Although I get a pretty good discount. =)
Even in Moab my tires worked fine. :dunno:

-----Matt-----

I've debated this exact question several times. At one point I HAD a set of new 37" Krawlers mounted on my rig, then decided I like the way it worked /w 35's and didn't wanna mess up that "balance", so I sold them. I feel my rig is fairly reliable the way it is now (on 35's), will do every trail that I've wanted to, still drives decent, etc.

My $.02

J

Avanteone said:
I've debated this exact question several times. At one point I HAD a set of new 37" Krawlers mounted on my rig, then decided I like the way it worked /w 35's and didn't wanna mess up that "balance", so I sold them. I feel my rig is fairly reliable the way it is now (on 35's), will do every trail that I've wanted to, still drives decent, etc.

My $.02

J

Yeah thats kinda what I was thinking too. I'll probably just keep the rear 44, regear it to 4.88's, and stick with the 35's. And finish the front.

BFG MT's right now. They are okay, but they are lacking in sidewall strength. I was thinking about running a bias, but I don't think I wanna deal with flat spotting, and rough ride. How do your Trxus perform in the sloppy stuff? How is the road ride?

Matt98XJ said:
BFG MT's right now. They are okay, but they are lacking in sidewall strength. I was thinking about running a bias, but I don't think I wanna deal with flat spotting, and rough ride. How do your Trxus perform in the sloppy stuff? How is the road ride?

BFG KM2's are supposed to have the sidewall issues resolved. I'll have 3 sets in next week I'll take some pics of :)

J

Avanteone said:
BFG KM2's are supposed to have the sidewall issues resolved. I'll have 3 sets in next week I'll take some pics of :)

J

what sizes?

Matt98XJ said:
Did they get rid of that little rubber lip that goes around the wheel? That thing always seems to get stuff caught in it?

Honestly, I don't know. I don't see them mention their "rim protector" like they used to in their advertising, and in the pictures online it's hard to tell. I'll have some in my hands next week and will report back :)

J

Megawatt said:
Do you have plans for the 37's yet? If not, I might be interested.:cool:

Nope, just wanted to have a set. They're hard to get since they're brand new and the MT/R has been backordered in that size for so long.

And I don't have the wheels anymore, I sold my 37" Krawlers ON the wheels.

J

Back