• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another motor swap question

madmax

NAXJA Forum User
i picked up a wrecked 99 xj for the tranny and t case. the guy would not part it out so i did.i have been try to sell the motor for a while now with no luck. i only want $600 for everything in front of the fire wall. with the price of diesel at $3.45 i figuard its time for a diffrent daily driver. on the local craigslist there are a lot of xj with motor problems going for cheap.

here is my question. which years of xj can i swap the 99 motor in to with out running a nightmare of problems? I E i really dont want to mix and match the wireing harness. the motor is 100% complete at the moment.

thats just a long block.
what about the starter, power steering pump. alternator. intake manafold and all the little thing that are a head acke to track down?

im selling everything in front of the firewall.

But people who need a 4.0 already have all of those accessories.

The last couple 4.0's ive seen sold here went for $100. I saw a very low miles one with a borla header go for $300. You're just asking too much money.

One of the locals here put an 96 4.0 into his '88 a couple months ago. if i recall correctly, he used the 96 header, 88 intake, and all 88 electronics. Seems to have gone pretty easy and runs good. I'll have him chime in here.

cal said:
One of the locals here put an 96 4.0 into his '88 a couple months ago. if i recall correctly, he used the 96 header, 88 intake, and all 88 electronics. Seems to have gone pretty easy and runs good. I'll have him chime in here.

SPOBI!

I put it in an '89 ;)

I actually used the '89 head, intake, and Borla. The reason I used the '89 head is that I wanted to save the '96 head for a stroker.

All the bolt ons shy of the manifolds and alternator (the Renix alternator is internally regulated, the HO is externally regulated) are interchangable. (Well the power steering pump may differ, I forget). I would never do a Renix to HO conversion but I wouldn't give a second thought to using an HO engine and putting Renix stuff on it.

The manifolds are different mainly because of hte ECU. You can use an HO throttle body with a modified Renix TCU and IAC installed, in fact I currently am.

i just bought a spare '99 longblock, with complete intake manifold (injectors, rail, TB, etc) and header, with '94k miles, for $225.

plus, i know the guy, and he paid $450 for it at the junkyard.

so if a junkyard only wants $450 for a sweet engine, $600's a little steep.

GL with your sale.

madmax said:
thats just a long block.
what about the starter, power steering pump. alternator. intake manafold and all the little thing that are a head acke to track down?

im selling everything in front of the firewall.

What do I need that stuff for? my knocking 4.0L has all that attached.

Back