• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pegged Oil Pressure???

tyspier

NAXJA Forum User
Well I posted this on Blue Mountain Jeep Alliance first off, but figured it wouldnt hurt to get a second oponion from the XJ people.

Heres the deal...I did the gauge cluster swap from dummy lites [GREAT write up by the way], and recently I noticed the oil pressure peggs wayyy past 80# sometimes when I am on the highway at about 3000RPM's. Only does it sometimes, and actually does it sometimes when Im racing up a hill with a runny.

Idle pressure is about 40/50ish #s. Stays pretty much the same when Im just crusing around, anything below 3000RPM's.

Any idea what might be wrong? And how to fix it.
Thanks for the time.

You didn't put any sealant or threadlocker on the gauge sensor when you installed it, did you? If requires a good clean ground through the sensor fitting - depending what year you have, the gauge will show pegged if you disconnect or break the ground circuit on the sender.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Nope, no threadlocker, teflon, sealant, or anything like that. And its only some times [like I said] that it is pegged, not a constant thing.

Mine would occasionally peg. I disconnected the plug and cleaned the contacts; hasn't pegged since. They were oily/dirty. I guess the watertight connection isn't oil or dirt proof.

I had this issue on my 94 and it was the oil pressure sensor.

Back