• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vibrating Engine. . .

Kyle Horvath

NAXJA Forum User
Yep. Just that.
Today I went through a mud puddle about a foot and a half deep. I'm sitting 6 inches higher than stock on 33's. So that ain't a big puddle for me. It was only about 40 foot long. About half way through, I noticed a major loss of power, it almost sputtered out. It felt like I was running on less cylinders. It went back to normal in 15 seconds or so. I've got an AW-4, I-6, and 4.56 gears in a 2000 XJ. Never felt this before.

The 10 mile drive home was fine, untill the check engine light started blinking (also a first) and it started sputtering again. I drove it to my house and checked all my harnesses and plugs. All seems to be ok now.

Any ideas? While I'm waiting, I'll try and search more.

Thanks

How fast were you going? I had the same problem with mine. I went through a small puddle too fast and got my distributer and everything wet. After it dried out everything ran good.

I've got the "distributerless" set up. I was going maybe 10 mph, if that. I've mashed bigger puddles in shorter XJ's. No problems. I'm going to hose off the under side to clean up and crap.

Sounds like water got between your plug and wire somewhere along the line. Cleaning will help, I use a healthy dose of dieletric grease when I am doing my plugs and wires to prevent this. I am able to use my snorkle to its ablities with no problems so far. I am sitting 6 over stock and on 33's as well, I have a 4.0 also but since it is a 88 I have the distributor to worry about as well. I did notice that my jeep ran like crap when my seal went out on the Puegeot and flug oil all over the bellhousing. It was causing problems with the CPS. good luck finding you short

Since you have the distributorless ignition, I would pull off your coil packs and clean them out with some type of cleaner safe for the terminals. I would also have an OBD-II scanner handy for when your CE light comes back on, because it if's still sputtering, chances are it will. Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

Kyle Horvath said:
I've got the "distributerless" set up. I was going maybe 10 mph, if that. I've mashed bigger puddles in shorter XJ's. No problems. I'm going to hose off the under side to clean up and crap.

ok wats your point? you still have plugs and boots, and i'm pretty sure theres water between the to causing the spark to ground to the block before going to the plug

Just cleaned up everything over and under.
I pulled the funky distributer rail (I'm used to working on older XJs), and added Di-electric lube to the plugs. I also cleaned all my sensor relays and harnesses with electrical cleaner.
She seems to be running fine again.

Back