• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spray in liner or cheap roll on liner?

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
so my roommate is thinking about doin a liner in his TJ since it has no carpet. now i know y someone would choose the cheap roll on liner cuz the price is considerably less but if u arent lookin at the price, is the quality spray in liner better or the cheap roll on liner better? i think he should save his money and pay for the good quality spray in but since he has a TJ he always uses JeepForum and a bunch of people over there like the roll on stuff. i personally dont like JeepForum and think that many people over there dont know what they r talkin about. NAXJA seems to have more knowledgeable people. so what do yall think?

I used herculiner in my rig, 75 at the local wally world. But it does scrap off when a sharp piece of metal hits it (tools, metal box). But again its a cheap fix. Last I checked those spray in liners cost about $400, so for me it was cheaper to get a can. If you on a tight budget, the duplicolor stuff at wally world for $40 is half the cost but a "softer" rubber so it scraps easier but is not as hard on the hands or tools/gear.

right i know its cheaper but im talkin about final product quality like is it even and uniform or all goopy and messy, how thick is it, does it provide any sound deadening, does it chip and peel or stay on? and this is when they are compared to each other

I almost herculined mine, until I saw my buddies. It holds the dirt really badly and stays stained.
I got Ameraguard on mine, it's a hard plastic coating that sprays on hot, and cures in seconds. It's cheaper than rhino, but good luck finding a shop that does it. Sorry if my pic is gigantic. I wish I had a better one that showed how shiny the stuff is.
000_0023.jpg

The herculiner thickness depends on how you apply and how many coats, in some areas I only got it thin, in others its 1/16" thick. If cash dont matter than Rhino or Line-X are the best due to proven durability.

You get what you pay for. My uncle is in the Rhino lining business for the industrial side and I have worked on the side with him. That stuff is near indestructable. We applied it to a Sand and Gravel company's equipment. If it stands up to media blasting for over a year of direct abuse I am sure there isn't a "roll on" that can come even close.

My vote is if your going to go through all the work and prep, do it right the first time and spend the extra money to do it right.

If you decide to do it, make sure you have them do the UV protector. That will keep it from fading and turning white.

I will be doing this to my XJ when I get the bumpers, sliders and everything else done. I am debating on going with a Medium gray and Spraying the entire vehicle. Since, I have helped him in the past and I will be doing all the prep, and spraying its only going to cost me a case or so of beer. I just have to get the time and money to finish the rest of my projects and get it in the shop to get it done.

Just for a note. It does not add as much wieght as one would suspect, I have seen people on forums say that it added a ton of weight. I can say that the sample pieces that I have float on water.

Cody

If cost were not an issue and quality was the only issue, I would definately without a doubt, say that the professional spray in liners are much better quality. They are thicker and more consistant. I know, I know, you can apply Hurc as thick as you want it. It always comes down to price. If someone GAVE him an unlimited amount of Hurculiner, you could probably do a really nice job with several coats and it would be comparable to the spray on linings. But thats just not real life, right? Or is it?

Back