• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 XJ Engine died, starts but does not run

Trawlfaz85

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone, my brother has a 1989 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4x4 4.0L Inline 6 with approx 200,000 miles. A few years ago, it had an electrical problem and would not turn over. Replaced fuel pump, CPS, Ignition Module, still would not start. Took to a mechanic, they tested a couple things and found out it was a fusible link.
Anyways, he is in Hillsboro, KS going to school, been there for about 2 months now, about 6 weeks ago, on the freeway right outside Witchita, KS his jeep started fluctuation in rpms. He pulled over, turned it off and to this day it will not run. It starts and runs rough for like a second or so, then dies. I have searched for an answer and can not pinpoint would could be causing it. With him being in Kansas and me in SoCal, I really can't mess with it.
What could be causing this no run issue?
I'm assuming it's probably something very simple to fix..

Here is a video clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmo2kwmLeEI

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited:
Number one suspect: fuel pump ballast resistor. On the driver's side inner fender, a little white ceramic dude. Bypassed while cranking, a defective one will allow you to start, then kill the engine. Check the connections, and if necessary, bypass it. Many years do without this altogether. You can eliminate it too.

Thanks for your reply Matthew, I actually had him try that earlier today. when he jumped the two connections together, bypassing the resistor, he said it died just the same. Is there something else that needs to be done for this test? Like I said he disconnected both connectors then jumped them together. He also a few days ago checked the continuity for all the wires/ fusible links, and all seemed ok.

Mine was doing the same thing and I had replaced everything in my power I thought was the problem. Finnally took it to a shop and they replaced the computer and it runs now.

Here is another video of the problematic issue. This is my brother starting the jeep, then as soon as it starts hes pushing on the gas pedal. As you can see it stay's running, but runs really "crappy," rpms jumpin up and down. As soon as he lets off, the motor quits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGTweZen-rU

Thanks for the reply Twisted_Dakota. If you don't mind my asking, approx. how much did all that cost? He might just have to take it in.

Sounds like your MAP sensor. Is the vacuum lined attached to it? Goes from the throttle body to the MAP sensor which is located right behind the valve cover. Make sure the vacuum line is all connected and doesn't have a hole in it, and that the power connector is connected.

Could also be a sticking EGR valve that's letting combustion gasses into the intake at an idle.

before I had him take it in, I'd see if he can verify that the TPS is reading correctly and that the fuel pump is pumping sufficient volume and pressure to keep the engine running. It does sound like a vacuum leak leaning the mixture, but insufficient fuel supply can do the same thing.

--Shorty

I bet it is the fusible link for the fuel pump located just behind the battery. I had the exact symptoms and found it to be so. Another possibility is the ignition switch. The reason for my assessment is that the motor is at least starting and then dying - that's a good sign. There is a start signal to prime the fuel pump and that's why it runs initially. Then, when this initial start signal expires, the motor dies. These are good indications of a fusible link or ignition switch. Fusible links are easy to trouble shoot shade-tree style most of the time. Simply grab the wire where the fusible link is with two hands and try to pull the wire at the link like a rubber band. If it stretches, then it's bad.
Please let us know what it is ultimately in the end.

Trawlfaz85 said:
Here is another video of the problematic issue. This is my brother starting the jeep, then as soon as it starts hes pushing on the gas pedal. As you can see it stay's running, but runs really "crappy," rpms jumpin up and down. As soon as he lets off, the motor quits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGTweZen-rU

Thanks for the reply Twisted_Dakota. If you don't mind my asking, approx. how much did all that cost? He might just have to take it in.

Total I spent on parts that I fixed myself was about $250. I took it to the shop they had it a week and checked everything and with replacing the computer it was $623.59

I would say check the fuel pressure, it should be between 31-39psi. I had to replace my fuel pump, filter and pressure regulator; cuz my pressure was at about 5psi.

It's definitely worth checking the EGR valve. When they wear, they occasionally hang open. If you can, reach a finger into it to the diaphragm, (it's open at the bottom) and give it a tweak to see if it snaps shut.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll have him try out all these things asap. As soon as its running again, I'll post what was the culprit.

Thanks again

Back