• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

budget boost shocks

Rod Knee

NAXJA Forum User
The rockliz 2 inch budget boost article recommends shocks that are 3 inches longer than the stock shocks. Why would they not have recommended shocks that are 2 inches longer than stock...for a 2 inch lift? Or 1 inch longer shocks if a BPE was used?

For one, try looking for off the shelf reasonably priced shocks that will mount right up and offer compressed and extended measurements that will work for a 2-3" lift without the compressed length being too much that would cause the shock to bottom out. If you compare the numbers, the front shocks bolt right up, are only 1/8" more on compression but are 3 1/8" longer for the lift height and for extra droop on flex. For the rear, the compressed length is 1 5/8" longer on compression than stock shocks, and 3" longer on extension. The extended lengths, although important, aren't as important as the compressed lengths. With 2-3" lift, the compressed length of the rear works out pretty good, and with all suspension modifications, if you bumpstop properly, the extra length in compression shouldn't matter anyways.

GottaBeJeep said:
For one, try looking for off the shelf reasonably priced shocks that will mount right up and offer compressed and extended measurements that will work for a 2-3" lift without the compressed length being too much that would cause the shock to bottom out. If you compare the numbers, the front shocks bolt right up, are only 1/8" more on compression but are 3 1/8" longer for the lift height and for extra droop on flex. For the rear, the compressed length is 1 5/8" longer on compression than stock shocks, and 3" longer on extension. The extended lengths, although important, aren't as important as the compressed lengths. With 2-3" lift, the compressed length of the rear works out pretty good, and with all suspension modifications, if you bumpstop properly, the extra length in compression shouldn't matter anyways.

Thanks, and I do relate to the emphasis on compression length. I'd like to rig it up so that if anything, I'd be more likely to overextend than overcompress. From what you've said the rockliz recomendations fit the bill. Regarding your reference to proper bumpstoping, do you expect that I will need extended bumpstops? Keep in mind that I am just shooting for 2 inches of lift and, if anything, I am more predisposed to going less than 2 inches lift rather than over 2 inches.

Back