• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1989 I6 4x4 5sp Parts commonality years

RTFM

NAXJA Forum User
What are (or maybe there is a reference list link) the model year commonality with an 1989 XJ?

I have a great semi-local used parts / junkyard that has several XJ's and would like to know the years that I can pull from in case I need parts for my 89.

Thanks all.

RTFM

87 to 90. All have little differences but most parts will fit. All are Renix engines and almost all body parts will fit from 84 to 96.

Cody

Not necessarily......

Sometime in 1989 the switch from the BA-10 5-spd, to the AX-15 5-spd was made. Also the switch from non-c-clip axles to c-clip was made.....

w_howey said:
Not necessarily......

Sometime in 1989 the switch from the BA-10 5-spd, to the AX-15 5-spd was made. Also the switch from non-c-clip axles to c-clip was made.....

1987-1996 for body parts.
1987-1990 for engine control electronics.

All years for axles - save the difference between C-clip and non-C D35, and the pinion length difference between C8.25 and D35.

The BA-10 was ditched in mid-1989 (or thereabouts) in favour of the AX-15. The AX-15 has a 23-spline output, the BA-10 has 21. The AW4 output changed about the same time - but the transmission itself did not.

The knock sensor and EGR valve were deleted for the 1991 model year by Chrysler, along with the change from RENIX to ChryCo OBD-I.

Anything more specific than that, you'll have to ask specifically... This is largely why I've been writing Swappology (and I'm finally about to open a dialogue with Dana...)

Thanks guys - that was the basic information I needed.

Thanks

RTFM

Because people love to mix and mach parts. It's best to craw under the donor and check. Can save time later on.

indeed, I bought an 87, and had no idea that the BA-10 had already been replaced with an AX-15.

Also, the BA-10 came in 21 spline and 23 spline variants, so be sure to check if you have one and need a t-case.

Back