• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP REAR DOOR WON'T OPEN

tgregg

NAXJA Member #1444
My 95 XJ rear passenger side door won't open. It feels like it won't unlock but I have manually unlocked it. I can't get it open to pull the door panel off very easily but pulled it up a little and nothing looked broken. It has electric door locks. I use this car for real estate and NEED that door to open. Has anybody experienced anything similar?
Thanks for any help,

Sounds crazy, but have you re-locked it? My 96 rear passenger sometimes does this, but locking and unlocking (sometimes a couple times) does it...

Jim www.yuccaman.com

My '95 won't open from the outside, but does from the inside. After pulling the panel off while it was locked (don't eff with the child safety locks if your outside handle doesn't work) and goign through the mechanism it was just a case of everything being worn out. Nothing broken, and no one piece being out of adjustment.

Pull the panel off (it's not that hard even when it's locked shut) and open it up to get a good look at what's going on inside. Use ample amounts of spray silicone on the mechanism.

Thanks, I got the door open and will pull the panes off completely and see what I've got. Appreciate the help....I'll post additional questions and results as I go so others will learn from the process.

x2 on taking the back panel off. on my 98 there is a long bolt that you tighten or loosen depending what your issue is. It fixed mine for the most part, but I keep the panel off now and hooked a piece of string so I can open it from the back seat if needed.

I had the same thing happen a year or so ago, I ended up rolling the window down and making the passengers get in Duke Boy Style!..J/K I took it apart to find the parts were worn. I replaced everything with stuff from a donor door and has worked fine since.

OK, The problem was the power lock solenoid. It was jammed in between and wouldn't let the manual unlock function. Just disconnected the solenoid and now it works fine with manual lock. YIPEE

Back