• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Windows, Don't think it's the fuses

VTEK1

NAXJA Forum User
I am now a very proud owner of a 1999 Jeep XJ with only 93,000 miles on it now. I'm very new at working on vehicles cuz this is my first, but I'm not stupid either. I just had the rear end changed because of some spider gear problems and now the truck runs fantastic. I have one last thing to fix and that is I have all the pwer windows working, I have checked all the fuses and got a diagram for them (Diagram for a 2000 XJ are they the exact same?) but at the other doors the controls don't work for the power windows, the driver's controls are the only ones that work, which I don't have a problem with, keeps my girlfriend from playing with the window. But i would like to fix this minor problem. Anyone got any ideas for me it would be really appreciated. thanks in advance.

i tihkn i have an issue too. my window lock wire kept blowing the fuse and would kill all my windows in my 89'. now i cut it and it worked but now it blew again, any suggestions?

i had the same problem in my 2000. i tried rstarch345's suggestion and it works great took me 10 minutes. The faulty window lock switch must be pritty common. Every xj i test drove when i was looking for mine had this problem.

I don't mean to sound trite about this, but the jeepforum link is far too time consuming and I've seen several posts where it didn't work. It is definately more suitable for pre-'97 vehciles which is where it origionally came from.

Here is a simple, less than 15 minute, operation for '97+.
Click here for the Window Lockout Bypass

what a great link and a sure thing took me 15 min max including driving by ace hardware and BAM problem painlessly solved. thanks :cheers:

i have a 2000 jeep cherokee and i tried rstarch345s procedure and it didnt work for me...... the driver sides controls is the only one that works.... i can put all of the windows down and up no prob from the drivers side switches.... but i cant do it from any of the other doors... i also noticed that the switches on the passenger side door and the two rear doors dont light up..... the power lock switch does light up though on the front passenger side door.... any suggestions???? a ground possibly? i tried looking for a fuse for the windows and couldnt find one?

Last edited:
i have a 2000 jeep cherokee and i tried rstarch345s procedure and it didnt work for me...... the driver sides controls is the only one that works.... i can put all of the windows down and up no prob from the drivers side switches.... but i cant do it from any of the other doors... i also noticed that the switches on the passenger side door and the two rear doors dont light up..... the power lock switch does light up though on the front passenger side door.... any suggestions???? a ground possibly? i tried looking for a fuse for the windows and couldnt find one?

I don't mean to sound trite about this, but the jeepforum link is far too time consuming and I've seen several posts where it didn't work. It is definately more suitable for pre-'97 vehciles which is where it origionally came from.

Here is a simple, less than 15 minute, operation for '97+.
Click here for the Window Lockout Bypass

This did the job for me. I had read the other procedures but just never got off my rear to try it. Saw your post and was like I can try that and it worked perfectly. Thanks for posting it up.

I haven't yet tried anything that is posted above bc well i've never worked on a car before but before i try anything, my driver side doesn't work as well as all the other windows. will everything post above fix that problem with the driver window as well as the other windows? thanks for any replys!

I haven't yet tried anything that is posted above bc well i've never worked on a car before but before i try anything, my driver side doesn't work as well as all the other windows. will everything post above fix that problem with the driver window as well as the other windows? thanks for any replys!

No, the drivers side doesn't use the lock out. The lock out is to keep the dogs/kids from opening the rear windows or to piss off the wife/gf when she is getting cold and wants to close the pass-front window.

Back