• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cutting a coil spring spacer

rescuejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2" teraflex coil spacer, but I really don't want to add 2" to my 4.5" springs, so I was looking to cut it down to 3/4 or 1"

Is this possible to do without screwing it up?

just buy a 3/4 in spacer they're like $35

Look close at it. You're going to have to do some pretty nice carving to make it fit right.

Just use an extra isolator, buy a spacer or use it without the stock isolator or whatever.

After purchasing the rig....and getting a written-warning (as well as wanting good roadability)....I removed a leaf in the pack as well as removing the 1.75" spacers....on the way to, ultimately, replacing the leafs and coils altogether...

Realizing that I hadn't obtained the needed coil isolators, and not finding them immediately available at local sources, I ended up cutting the spacers to get the job finished... I found that a back saw, the rigid type used for miter cuts with the reinforcing top rib, worked best and enabled a nice, straight cut. You would want to leave the bottom, as it has the concave profile to receive the coil, and....you will want to cut a chamfer in the upper-inside edge to clear the weld around the inverted tower and enable the spacer-come-isolator to seat properly and minimize height which seems to be your goal.

That said, if you do have the luxury of a little time, do purchase new isolators and save yourself a fair bit of fuss, especially given that your cut(s) may well not come out as square as you intend, and you will have both ruined the spacers AND still need to purchase new isolators...

Back