• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

duals

seriousjeep06

NAXJA Forum User
i was recently got rearended and my tailpipe got messed up, so i just cut i back for the time being. My question is, will running a Y pipe out of my glasspack, and then running 3" duals make a difference in sound and performance at all? Will all the extra flow effect the backpressure at all? Thanks!

As long as you have big 4" shiny chrome tips, you'll be fine.

Guy in our club has/had dual exhaust on his XJ....until he got into wheeling some of the more hardcore trails with us. On one run, he ended up destroying both of the tailpipes. 2x the cost!! 2x the PITA!!! I'm not saying that he would have been any less likely to destroy a tailpipe if he only had single exhaust....because everyone I wheel with that has an XJ or ZJ with a tailpipe in the stock location has ripped one or more off on the trails!

I'm not some big power expert or anything, but IMO, if it was going to increase your power at all, it would be marginal at best and not worth the cost. I know this isn't the most valid comparison, but just for the sake of argument, I know that a camaro will put out more horses with single exhaust vs. dual. Yeah, I know, that's v8, and we're talking inline six here....but just something to think about.

IMO, the best way to go is get a 90 degree turn and throw it in right after the cat, and make a support bracket right off of the back of the cat. Solves the problem of ripping expensive exhausts off!
IMG_0079.jpg

well i dont do much hardcore wheelin, so i dont really have to worry about bending them. i wouldnt expect much power gain anyway, im just tryin to go for sound. and sorry im not a motor and exhaust expert, have to ask questions to learn.

When I do my rear hatch chop... I'm runnin stacks and those tractor end that go "clinky" cause I'm cool like that.

anyone thought of getting one of those split tip y pipe deals(makes a double chrome tip from a single pipe, and using that as a splitter and runnin twin stock tailpipes?, kind of like the old chevy fullsizes and fords had?, or use a single inlet-dual outlet muffler with the same twin tailpipe deal?, would be inmteresting to see it done, not that id do t, just want to know if anyones done it?

there was someone on here that ran duals.

i'll see if i can dig it up for you mr. lazy.

x2 on the fact that its a waste of money and twice as likely to get messed up on the trail. Just put a 40 series or something equivalent and it will sound and run better.

seriousjeep06 said:
well i dont do much hardcore wheelin, so i dont really have to worry about bending them. i wouldnt expect much power gain anyway, im just tryin to go for sound. and sorry im not a motor and exhaust expert, have to ask questions to learn.

Chrome tips will get you at least 10hp. If you go with the bolt on 1 to 2 tips, double that. Chrome is a must as it allows the exhaust to flow more freely. (smoother)

YRMV.

Hale

seriousjeep06 said:
ok, i asked for serious answers, not for people to be a**holes! wtf?

:looser:

Haleyes said:
Chrome tips will get you at least 10hp. If you go with the bolt on 1 to 2 tips, double that. Chrome is a must as it allows the exhaust to flow more freely. (smoother)

YRMV.

Hale

i have to find this article in Jp magazine about chrome differential covers making jeeps go faster its hilarious. i'll scan it.

seriousjeep06 said:
i was recently got rearended and my tailpipe got messed up, so i just cut i back for the time being. My question is, will running a Y pipe out of my glasspack, and then running 3" duals make a difference in sound and performance at all? Will all the extra flow effect the backpressure at all? Thanks!

first off man i want to say im sorry some of these guys have been so f**king lame and dont seem to understand that not every XJ owner can just beat the sh*t out of their XJ. anyway my jeep spends a lot of time on the street cuz i just dont have time to go wheelin u know cuz i got responsibilities and priorities that get in the way. so i have dual exhaust on my 97 XJ and i did it not for performance or sound but for the look cuz i just cant stand a single exhaust tip sticking out the back. If you want to get the most deep aggressive sound out of ur jeep then go for the Flowmaster 50 series SUV/Truck muffler which has a special tuning chamber in it that gets rid of some of the higher pitch sound. that is the muffler that rusty's off-road uses in their exhaust kit which my best friend put on and inspired me to get that muffler. its not as loud as a 40 series but still loud. i have a single in dual out muffler with two tailpipes running out to 2.5 chrome slant cut tips. if you want to see what it looks like then take a look at my cardomain.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2262843
i only have one pic of the exhaust but i can take more for ya if u want them. now cost can be expensive depending on where u go. mine is a little louder than my friends single exhaust but just by a little but as far as overall sound its about the same. in my experience this is the most aggressive deep tone that u can get out of the 4.0L.
Good luck man hope that ACTUALLY helps

hey thanks a lot for actually being helpful. your duals look sweet. im kinda short on money and theres nothing wrong with the glasspack i have on it now. just that the end of the tailpipe was smashed. it sounds good now with the stock tailpipe, i just like the look of duals and figured they'd throw out a little bit more sound.

Back