• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.55's + AX-15 = worth the time?

MoonScryer

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 96 w/ an AX-15, stock 3.07's on 32" M/T's. I have a set of 3.55 auto axles sitting around. Is the swap worth the time? I know 3.55's aren't much higher, but they got to be some what better than 307's.

I did do the gear math thing on tire size, and came to 3.63, so its pretty close.

I'm tired of stalling out all the time. Ever slid down a grass hill from stalling out? Not fun, especially with another Jeep behind you.

Well I run an AX-15 w/ 32x11.5 BFG Mud's. I've got 4:11's, but would not have minded 4:56's. Personally to go just to 3:55's is a waste. It's like compromising. I know I need more gearing than 3.07's & I have some 3:55's that should be better than nothing.:sure:

I would say go at least 4:11's & lean more towards 4.56's Do it right or do it again.

Rob $.02

I just did this swap on my '99. Its an easy swap. Id say its worth it. Im running 33's and I can justify using 4th gear now. And its free, minus the labor.

Will you be regearing in the near future? If not, then you might as well if they are free.

Shouldnt take more then a day.

Blazair said:
I just did this swap on my '99. Its an easy swap. Id say its worth it. Im running 33's and I can justify using 4th gear now. And its free, minus the labor.

what about 5th gear?

The only time I use 5th is dowhill with a tailwind. :)
With the stock 3.07's I rarely used 4th.
Now with 3.55's I can use 4th gear above 50mph or so.

To answer some of the questions:

No, I won't be regearing any time soon; I just don't have the cash for it.

I got the axles for free (front) and $30 (rear, has completely new drum/hardware setup and all seals!!) so the only thing I will replace money wise is the front axle upper arm bushings. I have new calipers, unit bearings, etc to pull off my 3.07's.

MoonScryer said:
To answer some of the questions:

No, I won't be regearing any time soon; I just don't have the cash for it.

I got the axles for free (front) and $30 (rear, has completely new drum/hardware setup and all seals!!) so the only thing I will replace money wise is the front axle upper arm bushings. I have new calipers, unit bearings, etc to pull off my 3.07's.

i would do it, its just a matter of your time

i have 31's, 5sp with 4.10 and love it. i could not imagine 33's and 3.07.

3.55 would suck less, but still suck though.

89xj said:
3.55 would suck less, but still suck though.
Agreed.

Less suckage > more suckage

I have 33s and had 4.10s when I broke my 35 two months ago. I had to swap in a 3.55 axle while I waited to get my 44 geared. 3.55 and 33s is way better than the 3.07s and 32s I had before the 4.10s. If you can't regear for a while its worth it you'll get 5th back(go 4.88 when you decide to do gears)

If all it is costing is your time and effort, I don't see why not. 3.55's will make a difference, not as good as 4.11 or 4.56, but something is better than nothing (especially when its free). Just my .02

What is a good price to get a set of 4.11 or 4.56 gears in my 1991 axles. I currently have 3.55 and HATE them. The XJ has a 2.8 V6 so it ain't like I have unlimited power and it is SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seems to be too high for on the trail. I am constantly on the brake and clutch while on the trails because it just wants to GO. Would the 4.11 or 4.56 be a good swap for what I am describing? I had 3.73 gears and they seemed to be much better but like the guy that started this thread, I was on a limited budget (still am too) when my rear pinion busted and got the front and rear 3.55 for $150 complete. The axles are D30 and D35 by the way.
Thanks.

Depending on how your local u pull it type yards charge, I got my 4.10 axles for about $100 an axle. Pull them out of a 4-banger with an auto should be 4.10.

MoonScryer said:
I've got a 96 w/ an AX-15, stock 3.07's on 32" M/T's. I have a set of 3.55 auto axles sitting around. Is the swap worth the time? I know 3.55's aren't much higher, but they got to be some what better than 307's.

I did do the gear math thing on tire size, and came to 3.63, so its pretty close.

I'm tired of stalling out all the time. Ever slid down a grass hill from stalling out? Not fun, especially with another Jeep behind you.

i would go for it, definately.

:NAXJA:

tow2topgun said:
I am just wanting to swap the gears. not the whole axles.

cost for gear sets, possibly new carrier, install kit, and installation cost: $900-$1400. biggest factor in price difference is the installation cost.

tow2topgun said:
I am just wanting to swap the gears. not the whole axles.

It's way cheaper to grab axles at the pull-n-save though. It's also faster to swap axles than regearing. The longest part would probably be bleeding the rear brakes when your done. Last time I swapped out the front on my MJ, it took about 75 minutes.

Back