• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

alternator repair

Ukraine Train

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know of a good resourse on repairing alternators? I hit some pretty deep water yesterday while wheeling and a little later my alternator quit charging. It's probably something dumb that I could fix myself but other than replacing bearings I've never tried to repair an alternator. Reman one is $125 :(

What year XJ ? Here is a pretty good resource for early models. http://www.alternatorparts.com/cs130_sbpage1.htm

I've had mine stop charging because there was a coating of mud on the slip rings, under the brushes. It doesn't take much to stop the contact between the brushes and slip ring, muddy water can do it.
I've washed out the back with really hot water, spun them while washing, blown them dry and had them start charging again.

My 89 MJ alt died couple days ago. Took it to elect shop & they were charging $75 to open it up plus parts that need replacing w no warranty. Decided to go to NAPA & got a new 100 A Declo Remy w 3 yr warranty for $102. Put the receipt in the ol money back file just in case I need it. .

Back