• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pitman arm

xj-grin

NAXJA Member #1096
Ok, I have read the prior posts, and tried all the tips. I am replacing my stock pitman with a Waggy drop pitman to go with my waggy d44 front (therfore mod tech). How the HE!! do you get the stock bugger off. I have pulled them on my prior XJ's, but the one on my 99 won't let go. I soaked it in PB for a couple of days, torqued down my pitman puller slowly and tapped (sometimes relatively forcefully) with a BFH between torquings - no go. Applied a little heat and repeated and -- broke the pitman puller.

What are the secret tips for getting the arm to let go of the !@#$%^&* sector shaft???!!??

TIA

When I had my 99 on my buddies lift, we had the hardest time pulling my pitman arm for the first time as well. It took a combination of pitman arm puller, a 1/2" impact gun, and large hammer beating on the puller before it would budge. Sorry I don't have any secret tips for ya, but I do feel your pain.

Greg M.

Frank Z said:
Cut-off wheel. Cut the pitman arm almost all the way through in one or two places and continue using a BFH/Puller/heat combo.

Hitting it with the angle grinder cutting wheel was the next plan - thanks for the confirmation Frank!

Chris

progressively tighten the pitman arm puller while striking both the pitman arm all around its sides and the puller's shaft directly.

Simo said:
progressively tighten the pitman arm puller while striking both the pitman arm all around its sides and the puller's shaft directly.

Been there, done that -- the result was that the puller finally sheared from the pressure... Thanks anyways.

Back