• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheeling... with a M/T

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Up until now a majority of my wheeling has been washes, sand dunes, and other relatively high-speed ventures.

Today I went and did some rock-crawling and enjoyed it, but had one little problem. A majority of the XJ's I was with were automatic. I was having trouble finessing the rocks like the auto guys were because of having to work the pedals. If I crawled, I'd hit a rock and have to gas it to avoid stalling.

So those who wheel with a 5spd, whats the trick to not look like a throttle happy nut job when playing on the rocks?

Jeep is a 94, 4.0L AX15, NP231 with 4.10's in the axles.

interesting... i'll have to look into the hand throttle more

haha i thought the thread was wheeling with a mud terrain when i saw it i was like o man....anyways

practice practice practice.

stupid low crawl ratio, let out the clutch, crawl....

what about using your ebrake so you don't roll back as much?

I just angle my foot to the left, keep the ball of my foot on the brake and the heel on the gas pedal, and just let out the clutch really slowly. I wouldn't worry about looking like a throttle happy nut job, if they don't know enough to realize why you need throttle, then I wouldn't worry about what they think too much :moon:

I did some reading about the hand throttles.... I don't think its the answer.

Sounds like the answer is seat time in the rocks.

IslanderOffRoad said:
I did some reading about the hand throttles.... I don't think its the answer.

Sounds like the answer is seat time in the rocks.

The answer may be... (1) lower gears, (2) lower t-case gearing, (3) hand throttle, and (4) practice...

It's a combo of all of those.. but the hand throttle is a 30.00 addition that will make a ton of difference while you working on NO. 4

I watched my brother drop his clutch in 2nd in low on a steep hill and spin the rear shaft off to a perfect point. funny stuff

make sure you e-brake is in perfect working condition and learn to use it properly. i thought my wife how to drive using the e-brake and she can move almost as good through the rocks as i do with my automatic (i'd actually prefer a manual). gearing (axle gearing or t-case gearing or both) is also a major aspect. it really does help if you can ease out on the clutch and the vehicle starts pulling itself.

I loved my electric line lock when I had a manual. I mounted the switch on the throttle for instant on -off.

learning to abuse your clutch.
learning to slip the clutch to hold the truck in place without the brakes
yes, slipping the clutch is the most horrible thing you can do to it, but unless you've got stupid low gears, that's what's gonna happen.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there, Bob.

Slipping the clutch while sometimes can get you over stuff, beats it up pretty bad. I have overheated my clutch several times doing just that. Don't do it. Learn to drive well, and you can crawl like a mofo. I crawl just fine with my 4banger. The vertical faces sometimes kick my ass, but for the most part, low and slow with no slipping of the clutch.

KarlVP said:
I'm gonna have to disagree with you there, Bob.

Slipping the clutch while sometimes can get you over stuff, beats it up pretty bad. I have overheated my clutch several times doing just that. Don't do it. Learn to drive well, and you can crawl like a mofo. I crawl just fine with my 4banger. The vertical faces sometimes kick my ass, but for the most part, low and slow with no slipping of the clutch.

did you read my entire post?
yes, it's bad for the clutch, but unless you've got a rig that's geared way low that's what's going to happen.
if I had 4.88's I wouldn't have to slip the clutch. likewise if the original poster has stupid low gears he wouldn't be asking how to wheel with a man trans and not stall it or gun it.

87manche said:
did you read my entire post?
yes, it's bad for the clutch, but unless you've got a rig that's geared way low that's what's going to happen.
if I had 4.88's I wouldn't have to slip the clutch. likewise if the original poster has stupid low gears he wouldn't be asking how to wheel with a man trans and not stall it or gun it.

Let me know how that clutch slipping thing goes when you are on Pucker Ridge at Rimrock.

As for the topic at hand. More seat time is your friend.

After wheeling with a manual trans for 7 years, I swapped in an AW4 and was amazed at how much easier it was to negotiate obstacles, plus an improved overall drivability on the road.

I had become proficient in working both the throttle and the brake with my right foot with my manual trans, but you must pick your line carefully as you can't really let off and change the line, mid-obstacle. Hand throttles help, but can also add a layer of complexity when the natural instinct to let off the gas is to lift your foot..........

4 years of wheeling auto-equipped XJ's later, I can't think of any situation that would make me want to drive a manual trans in a Jeep...........2 feet, 2 pedals.

Back