• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

--->TeraLow 4:1 w/ an AW4....good or bad idea??

uncc civilengineer

NAXJA Forum User
Im running either 37's or 38's.. and geared 5.13...It doesnt get driven on the road much anymore. Im considering doing a Teraflex Teralow 4:1, 2low, Novak Shifter kit, and AA HD SYE.... All in all i'll have maybe 1300.00 in it.

So what Im wanting to know (and I have searched) is who's running a Teralow w/ an AW4? I see mostly guys w/ the AX15 running low ranges.

Is it going to be beneficial or not? Good or Bad? Let me know you're input.

I don't know personally but my buddy Steve Brush from Rutherfordton has one on his 99/aw4. He had one on his 89 TJ then put one on the xj and from what I've seen riding with him its an awesome kit. Tey sent him the wrong spline count the first time but it made it the second time around. It has been all through Tellico, URE, and Callente with no issues.

I can get his e-mail for ya if you want to ask him personally

Sure ya don't need my 231? Trade ya..

uncc civilengineer said:
Im running either 37's or 38's.. and geared 5.13...It doesnt get driven on the road much anymore. Im considering doing a Teraflex Teralow 4:1, 2low, Novak Shifter kit, and AA HD SYE.... All in all i'll have maybe 1300.00 in it.

So what Im wanting to know (and I have searched) is who's running a Teralow w/ an AW4? I see mostly guys w/ the AX15 running low ranges.

37s, 5.13s, NP242 with TeraLow and it works just fine with my AW4. Has been in this rig for years that way.

uncc civilengineer said:

Ben H has that setup, or close to it.

He was kind enough to let me drive and I loved it. 2low is amazing. You never really realize how much you need lower gearing until you drive something that has it.

That being said, Im saving my pennies for an Atlas.

ZacSquatch said:
I don't know personally but my buddy Steve Brush from Rutherfordton has one on his 99/aw4. He had one on his 89 TJ then put one on the xj and from what I've seen riding with him its an awesome kit. Tey sent him the wrong spline count the first time but it made it the second time around. It has been all through Tellico, URE, and Callente with no issues.

I can get his e-mail for ya if you want to ask him personally

Sure ya don't need my 231? Trade ya..

Im actually swapping with a bud for his out of an 01'

ECKSJAY said:
37s, 5.13s, NP242 with TeraLow and it works just fine with my AW4. Has been in this rig for years that way.

I was under the impression they do not make it for the 242 anymore? Are you able to still get some decent wheel spin? I mean that's usually a necessity here in the SE.

Starboard M said:
Ben H has that setup, or close to it.

He was kind enough to let me drive and I loved it. 2low is amazing. You never really realize how much you need lower gearing until you drive something that has it.

That being said, Im saving my pennies for an Atlas.

I really like my cousin's atlas.. but by the time I buy (2) new driveshafts, etc... it's getting pretty expensive..

Your sig says that you have 44's.......Do you have manual locking hubs? Ive always been told/heard that not locking your front hubs makes it the same as having 2low.

Steve97TJ said:
Your sig says that you have 44's.......Do you have manual locking hubs? Ive always been told/heard that not locking your front hubs makes it the same as having 2low.

Yeah that's right... but you have to get out of your rig and lock/unlock every time... Maybe I'm lazy.. but I like for the most part to cruise around inbetween trails in low and having the 2low would make running tight trails much nicer...

Aw4, tera low, and 2lo. I love it, just make sure you have good brakes. Mine was very hard to stop in 1st gear low, until my brake upgrade.

uncc civilengineer said:
Yeah that's right... but you have to get out of your rig and lock/unlock every time... Maybe I'm lazy.. but I like for the most part to cruise around inbetween trails in low and having the 2low would make running tight trails much nicer...

Well im sure that it would turn tighter if in 2 low, but if your hubs were still locked the locker would still prevent you from turning very well. Seems like a feature that is really not nessecary, unless you do a lot of rear digs on the trail where you dont have enough power to turn over the tires in regular 2H.

uncc civilengineer said:
OK well maybe I should ask... is it worth spending $1300 on a 231 when I can pick up a NV241 for around $1000.00? Hmm....

You would still be without a 2low if you went NV241. IIRC the 2low only works in the 231.

I'm keeping my eyes open for someone upgrading to an Atlas so I can grab a TeraLow for myself. AW4 and 4.88 gears here, let me know how it works out :D

trailworthyxj said:
Well im sure that it would turn tighter if in 2 low, but if your hubs were still locked the locker would still prevent you from turning very well. Seems like a feature that is really not nessecary, unless you do a lot of rear digs on the trail where you dont have enough power to turn over the tires in regular 2H.

It'd be no different than driving around w/ a D30 locked in 2wd.... I mean 2low is only sending power to the rear... am I missing something? It should turn significantly better.. With the hubs locked there still isnt any power to the front unless you're in 4wd..

Maybe w/ a spool it'd be different... man you're confusing me...

My 44 w/ with the hubs locked and a locker should act the same as a D30 locked with both in 2wd.. you should actually be able to make a turn w/o 10 points..

Also rear digs would be fun too :clap:

Another quick question:..

I have a NP231 from a 94YJ (AX-5) So it's 21 Spline input.....

I was looking to source a 23 spline NP231... But I started thinking.. If I'm ordering Tera's 4:1 I could just order it w/ a 23 spline Input...

OR am I wrong..

What I'm asking is can I use the 21spline 231 and just order the Teralow w/ a 23spline input for my AW4?

Chris

uncc civilengineer said:
Another quick question:..

I have a NP231 from a 94YJ (AX-5) So it's 21 Spline input.....

I was looking to source a 23 spline NP231... But I started thinking.. If I'm ordering Tera's 4:1 I could just order it w/ a 23 spline Input...

OR am I wrong..

What I'm asking is can I use the 21spline 231 and just order the Teralow w/ a 23spline input for my AW4?

Chris

Yes you can. The front half of the 231 is not used. That is what you replace with the tera low.

jeepme said:
Yes you can. The front half of the 231 is not used. That is what you replace with the tera low.

That's what I was thinking... now I wonder if I can get any $$ for my 242 w/ a RE H&T and 84k on it....

Also Jeep... know any good source for a kit to rebuild the 231 while you have it open?

uncc civilengineer said:
It'd be no different than driving around w/ a D30 locked in 2wd.... I mean 2low is only sending power to the rear... am I missing something? It should turn significantly better.. With the hubs locked there still isnt any power to the front unless you're in 4wd..

Maybe w/ a spool it'd be different... man you're confusing me...

My 44 w/ with the hubs locked and a locker should act the same as a D30 locked with both in 2wd.. you should actually be able to make a turn w/o 10 points..

Also rear digs would be fun too :clap:

Once you are in 2 low there is no power to the front which makes turning no differant than a D30 in 2wd with a locker. I have an Aussie locker in front and the 2low works great. If I am in a tight spot just shift to 2low and you have all the steering you need. Basicaly thats why I installed the 2 low with the 4.1.

uncc civilengineer said:
That's what I was thinking... now I wonder if I can get any $$ for my 242 w/ a RE H&T and 84k on it....

Also Jeep... know any good source for a kit to rebuild the 231 while you have it open?

The only thing I replaced when I did mine was the chain and I just went with the OMAX ADA stuff from Rusty's. Its been working just fine. Just be aware that there are differant length output shafts on the AW4 for differant years so when you get your 4.1 if it doesnt just slip right onto the tranny you will be making a call to tera. Ask me how I know :looney:

Also, run synthetic ATF in the 4.1. It will quiet it down quite a bit because they can be pretty noisy.

Back