• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running Commander rims on an XJ

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
The archives just weren't working for me today. I want to run a set of the newer 17" Grand Cherokee or Commander rims on my XJ. I need to figure out what bolt pattern they are, and if there is anyway with stock XJ axles to achieve this pattern. I found some spacers on eBay that convert the 4.5 to a 5.5 but I'm not sure if that's what the newer Jeeps are or if it's just 5x5. Anyone know for sure?
Thanks in advance,
Collin

using the hubs for a 2006 Grand, I measured the lug pattern for you and according to my math and dial calipers it is 5 on 4.5 ...114.3MM does equal 4.5in I think?!??!

mgreen84 said:
using the hubs for a 2006 Grand, I measured the lug pattern for you and according to my math and dial calipers it is 5 on 4.5 ...114.3MM does equal 4.5in I think?!??!
No kidding, so then... that would be the same as an XJ's yeah?
Edit...I think I found out they are 5x5 because that's what it's sounding like all the wheel spacers are for them. This is a picture of the wheels I want for anyone who is interested...
CommanderRim.jpg

Last edited:
5x5 like the JK and WJ

shelbyluvv said:
5x5 like the JK and WJ
That confirms that...so does anyone know if they make 5x4.5 to 5x5 spacers anywhere?

nope they will not work. They are CJ size 5X5.5.

Steve97TJ said:
What does that matter?
They are 5x5.5 not 5x5 which the new Jeep rims are. I didn't see the .5 when I originally posted it, but shelbyluvv is right.

Dude shell out a couple extra bucks and get steel ones. Aluminum blows, expecially when it comes to something strucural like these. My friend bought a pair and they stripped out, bent, just plain garbage.

DanMan2k06 said:
Dude shell out a couple extra bucks and get steel ones. Aluminum blows, expecially when it comes to something strucural like these. My friend bought a pair and they stripped out, bent, just plain garbage.

Are you kidding? Steel wheels blow. Aluminum are lighter and are so much easier to balance. And i think you have the price thing wrong. Steel wheels are so much cheaper then aluminum.

Steve97TJ said:
Are you kidding? Steel wheels blow. Aluminum are lighter and are so much easier to balance. And i think you have the price thing wrong. Steel wheels are so much cheaper then aluminum.
um.... I think he was talking about the steel spacer vs. the aluminum spacer.
Although I think very little of any spacer. For the 200 dollars/set for spacers, you could just find a decent aftermarket 17" wheel..... plus I've seen the spacers come loose. But everyone is allowed thier opinion. Best regards.

oh btw.. the factory chrome wheels are $$$$$ compared to aftermarket. If you get a good deal on 4 from someone who upgraded. Keep your eye out for a 5th "deal" so when you bust 1 wheel up your not stuck buying from the dealership

Last edited:
99 and after are 5x5

I wanna see it don't let anyone dissuade you!

lancey3 said:
I wanna see it don't let anyone dissuade you!
Oh I'm going to do it, I don't want huge bling, but I think 17" chrome Jeep wheels would be cool. As far as spacers, if people think steel are better, that's what I will go for. I just need opinions because this is an area I've never dealt with before. I've never had to use spacers for anything else. I don't have the funds to do it right now, but a few months down the road I'll make it happen.

fiyerbirdie said:
um.... I think he was talking about the steel spacer vs. the aluminum spacer.
Although I think very little of any spacer. For the 200 dollars/set for spacers, you could just find a decent aftermarket 17" wheel..... plus I've seen the spacers come loose. But everyone is allowed thier opinion. Best regards.

oh btw.. the factory chrome wheels are $$$$$ compared to aftermarket. If you get a good deal on 4 from someone who upgraded. Keep your eye out for a 5th "deal" so when you bust 1 wheel up your not stuck buying from the dealership
I had the same opinion about wheel spacers as you. When I swapped the rearend in my Toyota to a later model (3" wider) the only way to get the front to match was with wheel spacers. I wanted steel but, nobody (well, one company was but, they're no longer around) made them. I have had my spacers on there for about 4 years now (second set of 35" tires and about 70,000 miles). I installed them with Loctite red, tourqued to spec and have never had to retorque them. My truck is a daily driver/work truck and gets wheeled pretty hard quite often......no problems. So, I changed my opinion on wheel spacers......I run 1" spacers on my Cherokee because I like the factory alloys. I'll be running 33X10.50X15 BFG A/Ts (got five, almost new ones, for free from a buddy :D ) on the the factory 7" wide alloys (if my 31s will ever wear out) for D/D duty and 33X12.50X15 muds (don't know which ones yet) on a set of 15X8 Ravines (I think that's what they're called) for wheeling.----------Hans

90PioSport99 said:
Oh I'm going to do it, I don't want huge bling, but I think 17" chrome Jeep wheels would be cool. As far as spacers, if people think steel are better, that's what I will go for. I just need opinions because this is an area I've never dealt with before. I've never had to use spacers for anything else. I don't have the funds to do it right now, but a few months down the road I'll make it happen.

So ya lost me. Are the wheels 5X5 or 5X5 1/2? If it's 5 X 5 1/2 I got a set of 4, only used for a month. Had the CJ wheels & tires on the XJ till I got the new soft's. They are alluminium, but blue lock_tite is your freind.

91 Jeep Project said:
There is nothing wrong with aluminum. Spidertrax uses 6061T6 aluminum, and are pretty much the standard as far as wheel spacers are concerned. They make a 5 on 5 to a 5 on 4.5. I imagine you could get them to make you a reverse set.
See my earlier post for a link to the wheel spacers you're looking for. 6061T6 aluminum lug centric....excellent quality about $75 a pair -------Hans

Last edited:
Back