• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cant decide what to do with suspension

djt81185

NAXJA Forum User
Ok first off I have a 1989 Jeep Wagoneer (quad headlights and wood grain:yelclap:) AW4, D35, and the 242 transfer case (iirc...it has the full time mode)

Heres my dilema. It is my winter beater/goofin around off road vehicle...I do like to 4 wheel trails and some mud and rocks once a month or so. I did have plans on just lifting the vehicle with just a 3" lift.

Then came the DW. I checked (shook wih my hand) the track bar and it doesnt wobble or shake when I wiggle it but if I hit a bump with the right front tire at hwy speeds I have to slow down to 45 to get the wobble to go away. So im assuming I have slop somewhere. From what I heard/read the easiest way to cure it is to rebuild the front suspension. So I was thinking the new complete 4.5" lift from RC with upper and lower CA's and trackbar and such. Only thing is im worried about the TC and the axles with that much lift. It wont look right except with 32's or 33's but I dont wanna break an axle and I dont wanna destroy a transfer case.

What would you guys suggest in my situation? Also what are the other check points for DW?

Check your tie rod ends and the track bar mounts. Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth sitting still with the engine running while you look at each part underneath. If there is any slop in any of the loints or if the trackbar moves any then you need to replace some parts.

I had the same problem. Turns out one of my tie rod ends was shot. I replaced it with a RE Adj trackbar setup and its gone :thumbup:

Tie rods are in your steering arent that?

So I should try fixing the tierods/track bar first?

If that solves the problem what lift kit do you guys think?>

If the above doesnt fix the problem what do u think?

Dan

djt81185 said:
Tie rods are in your steering arent that?

So I should try fixing the tierods/track bar first?

If that solves the problem what lift kit do you guys think?>

If the above doesnt fix the problem what do u think?

Dan

First check as stated above. Watch each joint for a couple seconds while someone is turning back and forth. You are bound to find the bad joints eventually. Once you fix that issue, then determine whatcha wanna do lift-wise. It's better to find the issue and fix it directly than to guess and fix everything at once cuz you might not catch the culprit.

Back