• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hmmm... Hiems...

ZacSquatch

NAXJA Forum User
Well I got my Hiems in for my steering, 3/4", teflon race.. and for the price they can't be beat.

For the tie rods its obvious how I am going to set them up... But for my drag link.. My brother made an interesting suggestion... Why not mount the heim end with a bolt going through horizonatly instead of verticaly that way they have in theory 360* of rotation...

I saw your previous post, but when i checked the website i couldn't find threaded bungs and misalignment spacers sold separately, did you have to call them or did i just miss something?

As far as the steering set up, doing an inverted t with the hiem mounted in double sheer to the tie rod is very common.

I'm getting ready to upgrade my steering soon, just curious, are you doing OTK? and what size tube are you using?

They have them seperately, let me get my invoice and I'll give ya part numbers but look at the homepage then you can find them on the search scroll.

They were 7.20/ each on heims
6.80/each on bungs

ZacSquatch said:
For the tie rods its obvious how I am going to set them up... But for my drag link.. My brother made an interesting suggestion... Why not mount the heim end with a bolt going through horizonatly instead of verticaly that way they have in theory 360* of rotation...

Where'd ya get 'em?

And which end do you want to mount horizontally? The TR to DL or the DL to pitman arm end? The problem if you go horizontal on the pitman arm is that the throw would typically max out the angle on them. On the TR to DL side you can do it, that's how mine is.

No, Tie rod is a solid unit with on the stock steering knuckles

Drag link will be mounted on top of the knockle in some fashion.. pitman arm will retain stock TRE

The drag link will have the heim mounted verticaly and the bolt horizonatly

and heims came from Midwest control

Wait a tick, inverted T steering? I'd assumed that anyways.

It'll work, that's what mine is. The heim is in a double sheer bracket with the bolt horizontal.

No, not inverted t... the tie rod and drag link are connected in no way.. just to thye knuckle

ZacSquatch said:
Well I got my Hiems in for my steering, 3/4", teflon race.. and for the price they can't be beat.

Is it all teflon or also Kevlar? I dont know many heims but I would want them as tight as possible for steering especially....

Teflon, and right now they take a lil umpf to spin emm around... And I got 3 spares so it wouldn't hurt my feeling a bit if I went through one every few months.

I'd mount them like soo..
steer.jpg

instead of seating it with the bolt going up through it.

It may just be my preference but... if you plan to drive it on the road any you want those heims to be as tight as possible... If this is your first time running heims you'll probably see what I mean really quickly... It'll wander all over the place.

I can tell when my heims start wearing out by the wander. The harder they are to move the better the heim IMO...

Chris

Thats the beauty of it.. It'll be driven on the highway twice a semester.. from home to WCU and back again and once its up there, its trail rig only. I have my 90 as a DD so I can just change emm out whenever the trip home is.

This semster I'm in Greensboro workin, and buildin the rig.. School starts back up for me Jan. 13th so I won't be Tellico bound till then.

Gotta get a new set of rubbers myself.

uncc civilengineer said:
If this is your first time running heims you'll probably see what I mean really quickly... It'll wander all over the place.

There's not a single bushing in my entire suspension, and it tracks extremely well going down the road. Including a panhard bar with heims on both ends.

Slightly worn heims are still better than sloppy bushings IMO.

vetteboy said:
There's not a single bushing in my entire suspension, and it tracks extremely well going down the road. Including a panhard bar with heims on both ends.

Slightly worn heims are still better than sloppy bushings IMO.

Vettboy, I was not referring to all heims in that statement just worn or loose ones. A tight heim works perfectly fine (and like you I'm running all heims up front)... But running loose heims on the highway is a bad idea im ny book

Back