• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PCM not sending cooling fan signal

Ukraine Train

NAXJA Forum User
The other day I was towing a trailer up a really steep, rough dirt road and the Jeep was getting really hot. (It's an '01). I popped the hood and the cooling fan wasn't on. I turned on the AC and it still didn't kick on. So today I checked the relay and it's fine. In the distribution block I jumped the power in and power out terminals in the relay cavity and the fan kicked on so I know the power supply circuit is good. I also checked for ignition power at the switch terminal and that was good too. I got about 60ohm resistance between ground and the terminal that goes to the PCM where it switches on the fan. I turned on the truck and the AC. The AC clutch turned on but the PCM signal terminal was still reading 60ohm to ground so it didn't switch on.

Any idea why the PCM wouldn't send a fan signal?

It's an '01. Does the temp gage get its signal from the same sensor that the PCM gets its temp signal? If it is then the sensor is fine because the gage works. I'll rent a scan tool and see what the PCM is reading.

Why do you say 60ohm is high? If the PCM is not sending a fan-on signal then there should be a decent amount of resistance between that pin and ground, which would go to near zero when it turns on the signal.

Back