• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Silencing the XJ

clunk

NAXJA Forum User
My xj rattles and creaks like crazy on road and off-road, whenever I hit a bump. It sounds like the body panels are rattling around, but they all seem to be tight and solid. Does anyone have any tips on making my XJ a little quieter? I know it's a jeep, I don't mind some noise...but the rattling, squeeking and creaking can drive me nuts some times! Any advice?

Think you might have to get used to it being a rattle trap... I've had two and the both have been noisy as hell as soon as they got some lift. If someones got an answer though Id like to hear it quiet mine up too.

make sure your tires aren't overinflated, makes the rattles worse. Teh back seat is known to rattle so make sure it is locked in place. Also my hatch was squeaking even with the stops adjusted. If yours is doing this wrap some electrical tape around the catch and it should take care of it., or order a new catch. Just installed a hitch on mine or would takethe catch and get a new one.

robjohns said:
make sure your tires aren't overinflated, makes the rattles worse. Teh back seat is known to rattle so make sure it is locked in place. Also my hatch was squeaking even with the stops adjusted. If yours is doing this wrap some electrical tape around the catch and it should take care of it., or order a new catch. Just installed a hitch on mine or would takethe catch and get a new one.
what do you mean by the catch?
I'll look into the back seat, I know it doesn't really "lock" too well, but ive never looked into it.
Ive thought about trying that undercoating stuff and bought something which I thought to be rubberized undercoating from the Chrysler dealer, but it turns out it doesn't really rubberize, it's just an anti rust coating or something.

I reckon stuffing some Dynomat into all the trim panels would probably do wonders for your Jeep's noise level. I want to do this on mine, but I just always seem to have something more important to do.

Check you spare tire too. I had a squeak that was driving me crazy, turned out to be the spare rubbing against a rear panel. The tape on the rear hatch catch works. You can buy a new one, usually a PITA to replace due to rust, yes rust, can you imagine that on an XJ....lol

Back