• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

o2 sensor replacement problem.

Oizarod115

NAXJA Forum User
stuck/odd o2 sensor problem

alright, HELP ME PLEASE!

i tried to replace my o2 sensor today, tested it, got infinite ohms, tested new one same way, got 5 so ok, definitely bad... have to pass sniff-test by tuesday or i get late fee's

so i went out got the right wrench on the sensor and it quickly rounded instead of loosening, so i wd-40d it and hit it with the pipe wrench which loosened it, and it SEEMED to be coming out, it got looser-and-looser til the point where i can hand spin the whole thing. and yet somehow it won't come out. im lookin at the new sensor and i have no idea how the thing can be broken off in there like it is, it only has like 5 threads so its not just really far in there, idk wtf happened. but if anyone has an idea of how to put t he new one in another spot or how to get this damned thing out please let me know.

Last edited:
As far as the DMV fees, here in CA you can pay all of the fees (to stop any late charges from occuring) and then get your new reg when you provide them with all the necessary paperwork. You might want to look into that if you can't fix your 02 in time.

kdailey4315 said:
As far as the DMV fees, here in CA you can pay all of the fees (to stop any late charges from occuring) and then get your new reg when you provide them with all the necessary paperwork. You might want to look into that if you can't fix your 02 in time.
thanks, but i'm not THAT worried about that, i really just need to get this darned sensor out/replaced.

i've been searching still and havent found anything useful, just that it SHOULD be a 5 minute job with a crescent wrench (hahahah, riiighttt, just like changing factory 1989 u-joints with a hammer and two sockets eh? )

ebyrd10000 said:
just my .02 when removing o2 sensors it helps to heat them up with a little propane torch
the nut loosened without pulling the threads with it i guess? because i can spin the nut by hand (not easily but i can) and the sensor can wiggle a little bit but she won't budge a bit. still threaded in somehow?

no reason to get upset. If there are threads that you can see just grab them with a needle nose vice grip and turn. If not then get creative and find somebody with an angle grinder and welder if you dont have one. the idea here is to cut off the o2 sesor and weld something to the threads that you can turn

sounds like the threads in the pipe or on the sensor are all boogered-up at one end. can you thread it back in? try dousing it with some GOOD penetrating oil-marvel mystery oil, etc. screw it back in and out again a couple times, then try backing it all the way out while maintaining some "outward" force on the sensor, maybe a flatblade screwdriver or something between the threaded bung on the pipe and the back of the sensor nut. pry outward while backing the sensor out, it may get it past the screwed up thread section. this has worked for me in the past on things like that.

Last edited:
the weld on the bung isn't broken is it??? if it is then you'll have to get creative with a grinderand weld a new one in its place

the bung is fine, and i can't really see the threads or anything as the sensor is still stuck in there, so i don't know that i'll be able to grab them if i can get the sensor out, i started hack-sawing it off but got bored...

my other idea was to find a nut that'll fit on the new sensor and drill a hole somewhere else in the exhaust and make my own bung there.

it shouldn't matter where the sensor is as long as it's before the cat right? (course i'd have to splice in longer wires for the connector)

actually the placement is important. if you have to relocate it, make it as close to the o.e. location as possible. given the option moving it away from the engine or toward, i'd move it slightly toward the engine.

Ten High said:
actually the placement is important. if you have to relocate it, make it as close to the o.e. location as possible. given the option moving it away from the engine or toward, i'd move it slightly toward the engine.

well, the problem with that is how do i get my welder up in there? if i was gonna take the header out to do it i'd just buy a pace-setter and not worry about it

On my 89' 4.0 I ended up getting under there with a pair of vise grips. Worked better then that darn O2 socket. Mine came right out with them.

Back