• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with mystery pop

hirollerco

NAXJA Forum User
After driving for 5 hours home from moab last week, i am not a 1/4 mile from home when my theres a loud pop or bang from the front... not sure exactly, but from then on theres been a weird friction feeling from the front right wheel. Theres now about 1/8th of a turn of play in my front d shaft, checked the fluid in the front diff, its good, no metal, no gear teeth. All my U-joints and double cardigans are good. I did top off about half the front housing, which has a detroit limited slip in it, without limited slip additive. Also the bottom of the tcase has a new sheen of fluid leeking from what looks to be the hack and tap output shaft cover. I'm lost i cant figure out what the hell is making the noise or if its even something to worry about. Sorry its so vague but thats all the info i got...

Drew

Last edited:
Have you checked all your joints up front? ie axle u-joints.

It may be your transfer case.
If one day while you are driving it starts to smoke, you will know your problem. . .
But that's the unfortunate way to find out.

Back