• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My front bumper with recessed 8274

1996cc

NAXJA Forum User
Now I know why they charge $600+ for stuff like this. I won't ever build another one, it just takes too much time.

Some progress pics, from the rear:
DSC05001.jpg

The "winch plate" came with my 8274 when I bought it. It is 1/4" and I just reused it and cut it down some. Everything else is 3/16" (besides the mounting plates). 2" square tubing under the plate. And the top plates of the bumper are just 1/8" to try and save some weight. It was 82 pounds before I put the top plates on, I didn't weigh it after.

I cheated with the 1/4" mounting plates, I ordered them from AJ. I suck at lining up holes and drilling them in the right spot. The extend all the way to the end of the D-ring mounts and are plated with more 1/4" on both sides.

It was hard to photo, but it only sticks out 7" total from the front of the grill. So only about 3-4" past where the front bumper used to be. (The grill peice I'm measuring from has been cut out):
DSC05003.jpg

DSC05037.jpg

DSC05041.jpg

DSC05065.jpg

And completed: (Just need a new winch line and I'll get the winch mounted in there).

DSC05076.jpg

DSC05126.jpg

DSC05108.jpg

that's some skillful work there.

one thing I would suggest to add on is extend the mounts farther to a couple more bolt holes on the frame, including the steering box holes. that'll reinforce it all so it will be really heavy duty.

It is. Six bolts on each side (all 3 steering box bolts) plus one on each side coming up from the bottom for a total of 7 per side. It is as well mounted as you can possibly be to a unibody.

A better "action" shot of the bumper. With my 3 year old son today. The stupid local rigging supply store won't have the synthetic line in till next week, so I still don't have the winch on there.

DSC05167.jpg

Since I'm still waiting on West Tech for the synthetic line, I went ahead and got the winch cleaned up (focused on the inside of it). New "lower housing seal kit" installed. That is basically the bushings that the drum rides on and a seal where the drum goes into the case. Cleaned out all the old oil and put in new. It is amazing how simple these winches are. It basically fell apart in my hands and all the gears were laying on the bench. I like simple. Here it is, all installed (minus cable).

DSC05204.jpg

DSC05210.jpg

DSC05211.jpg

For those that may be curious about cooling, here are some stats. There are approximately 292 square inches of grill surface on the cherokee. My bumper and winch take up about 91 square inches, or roughly 31%. But behind the winch, there is at least 2" of free space at the closet point to the radiator. Therefore, my opinion is, there is plenty of room for air to wrap "around" the winch and cool the radiator. Only time will tell.

I love those 8274's. I rebuilt one last year and was very impressed with the simplicity and beef. Looked crappy on the outside when I got it, but looked brand new inside. A couple hours wire wheeling and polishing and painting, and it looked great in and out.

Great Work X-2.

Always allot time and work. As your in the middle of the project your saying to yourself when I'm I going to be done, but when your done your happy ya did it.

Back