• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Post-Lift ??

Tready619

NAXJA Forum User
Hello there, I just finished my 4.5" RE superflex kit on my 2000 Sport. I haven't had it aligned or the tires put on just yet. I was driving it to the house and I noticed that when I'm cruising at road speed of 30 or more and left off the throttle, I get a little vibration/grinding in the floorboard. I assume this has to do with the rear axle. I didn't use any shims because they didn't come with the kit. What do you all think?

Did you install a SYE? You will most deffinetly need to do shims and a TC drop at the least but I would STRONGLY suggest a SYE kit

its the drive shaft grinding on the t-case output yoke, do a t-case drop/use the shims as a short term fix. get a sye and a new driveshaft to fix the problem

Yes, I plan to do an SYE, I have done a tc drop so far. Are these normal sounds and vibrations? I can feel the vibrations from the lack of sye. I know that feeling. This feels like something different. It's not constant either, sort of intermittent...

shim it and go from there.

i put a tcase drop on but with no shims. it took care of most of the vibes but still has the clunking/thunking noise..so sye is next on the list.

CustomCrawler said:
RE 4.5" is 5" lift new before it settles Ive heard by many.

A SYE is stronger, but it should settle down 1/2"!

its probably a little higher than that too.

I needed a sye after a 3.5" lift to get rid of vibes and noise

Tready619 said:
Shims I assume is the way to go. What degree? How many? which way? anybody? Thanks again for the help

i went with 4* ones with my c/v shaft, one on each leaf spring (sandwiched between the leaf spring and the perch, fat end towards the rear

When you get shims get steel because aluminum can crack and fall out leaving you with an axle that has 1/2" of play in the u-bolts. I got 4* shims from rusty with a t-case drop, although there were cheaper and other degrees out there, I just got mine from rusty's so I would only pay shipping once. The yokes were hitting at my t-case after my 4in. lift and this helped untill SYE.

Instead of starting a new thread i figured ad ask on this one. i have the same grinding/humming sound since i fixed my lift(3'' crusty AAL converted to a bastard pack) and now i have about 3.75" up front with hd coils and about 3.25 out back. with this little lift will i be able to skip an SYE for a TC drop? and i have 3* aluminum shims but not installed. Those too. ---also its a 231TC in a 96 sport that is a DD and trail rig. about 80%mallcrawler/and 20%lighttrailwork and some moderate mud. so nothin too extreme

I did about the same thing. 3 inch Rustys springs in front. BDS AAL in the rear. 90 XJ on 32x11.50x15 and I dont get any vibes and very little bumpsteer. I originally wanted to go at least 4.5, but when i seen that anything above 3 to 3.5 inches was going to require a lot more money I went with a 3". I am very happy with it. You always wish it was bigger stronger tougher, etc... however, if I wanted a huge, heavy, bulky pile of iron, I would of built and Ford Excursion. Not bashing those with rock crawlers, just saying that wasnt my goal.

Cody

Just for follow-up. Picked up my XJ from the shop today. With the new tires, alignment, and brakelines, it drives like a dream compared to before. SYE is still in the future and I am going to keep an eye on the driveline. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Back