• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should the computer have a cover?

mikejwil

NAXJA Forum User
Bought a 99 XJ the other day, and now notice that there is no plastic cover on the computer like there was on my 93. Should there be one? If so, are there going to be issues running without?

Thanks.

The 99 (96-up, I think) computer appears different from the 93 (91-95) version. It has a slimmer looking metal case and three plugs prominently sticking out the side. If that's what you have, that's what you're supposed to have. I must assume that it's sealed, potted, etc. and as weatherproof as ever. Actually I hope it's a little more weatherproof. In heavy rain the plug on my 95 gets damp at the bottom and the tach drops out. The plug location on the 99 looks like an improvement.

Matthew Currie said:
In heavy rain the plug on my 95 gets damp at the bottom and the tach drops out.

Hot damn, you just saved me a pile of hunting around in the FSM.

I've had my tach drop out after hitting some water on my last couple of wheeling trips (never happened in the past, but I may have been in more water these last couple times), now I know what's going on. It's never happened to me due to heavy rain, but then I have the rubber splash mat underneath.

I'll have to get a closer look at it this weekend and give some thought to a splashguard just for that...

Thanks!

Rob

Rob Mayercik said:
Hot damn, you just saved me a pile of hunting around in the FSM.

I've had my tach drop out after hitting some water on my last couple of wheeling trips (never happened in the past, but I may have been in more water these last couple times), now I know what's going on. It's never happened to me due to heavy rain, but then I have the rubber splash mat underneath.

I'll have to get a closer look at it this weekend and give some thought to a splashguard just for that...

Thanks!

Rob

I should mention that I'm not 100% sure it's at the plug, but I'm pretty sure, because the tach signal pin is near the bottom. When I opened it up after the first time this happened, there was a good deal of moisture and even a little mud down there. After a dryout it worked again. It's only happened a few times in the last couple of years, when I drove through rainstorms with big puddles and flooded roads.

Back