• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1997+ XJ Evaporator/Heater Core R&R WriteUp

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Here is my pictureless write-up on how to change a 1997-2001 XJ’s heater core or evaporator...

1.If it hasn’t all leaked out…have a shop discharge your A/C system.
2.Disconnect negative battery cable as always.
3.Slide seats all the way back.
4.Remove console (Phillips screwdriver).
5.Remove 2 bolts holding dash bracket under where console was (13mm).
6.Remove dash bezel, cluster surround and dash pad (defroster panel) (Phillips).
7.Remove kneeblocker under steering column (Phillips).
8.Lower steering column as far as it will go by removing nuts on each side (Deep 14mm).
9.Remove the kickpanels on each side (Phillips screwdriver and deep 10mm or 11mm).
10.Remove bolts behind kick panels securing dash (15mm on some 13mm on other years).
11.Remove all bolts/nuts along windshield (10mm socket, wobble extensions)
12.At this point the dash should be free to be pulled out enough.
13.In the engine bay remove all 5 nuts securing heater box to the firewall (deep 11mm).
14.Remove hoses from heater core and using disconnect tool remove A/C lines from evaporator tubes. Also unplug vacuum line that’s coming out of the heater box foam block.
15.Back inside, unplug antenna connection and vacuum harness connection that comes from the climate control panel.
16.At this point the dash should be out far enough to jiggle the heater box out of the vehicle. If not, either try removing the steering wheel or whole column, but I’ve been able to do it without that being necessary. It is only the right side that needs to be pulled out, but the column does restrict it to a point.
17.Once the heater box is out set it on a stable surface. Start removing all bolts around the perimeter of it and on the top. Also remove the blower motor (All 8mm screws).
18.Slice the foam gaskets along the seam in the heater box with a razor blade or utility knife.
19.Open the box and replace the evaporator and/or heater core.
20.Installation is reverse of removal. I would be sure to use a little bit of sealant where the foam gaskets had to be sliced.

Disclaimer: This is only intended to be a guide to this project. I obviously may have forgotten a step and a bolt size may vary on your particular vehicle, this was done on a 2001 Cherokee Sport. Length of time to complete may vary from 5 hours if someone competent is doing it to 10 hours if the dealer is doing it…or wait, maybe they just charge you for 10 hours. There will be cussing during this project, unless you are a more patient person than I, and I have been told I am actually very patient. It is always a good idea to do a reality check to make sure the road still exists before you plan a trip on it being there, unless you’re in an XJ; drive on it anyways :D. Lastly, I absolutely am not affiliated with Chrysler LLC or whatever they’re going by these days. Good luck with this fun project!
-Collin

Ahhh so you finally decided to tackle the evaporator project?

Not looking forward to doing mine...been pretty fortunate that after the last recharge 2 years ago it hasn't leaked out yet. I know it's only a matter of time though...

It's ozone safe but it's still a greenhouse gas, so it should not be released into the atmosphere. It's soon to be replaced by hfc-152a which is actually atmosphere safe. The stuff's already being sold in those computer duster cans, and it is only a matter of time, as it is a "drop-in" replacement for 134.

I did the evap swap earlier this week, and 10 hours sounds about right. I will second that you can jiggle out the box without removing the underdash.

dont forget to disconnect the cable for the blend door if it is equipped with one. some have electronic controls.
oh yeah it takes about an hour and a half with the right tools

99XJSPORT06 said:
Ahhh so you finally decided to tackle the evaporator project?

Not looking forward to doing mine...been pretty fortunate that after the last recharge 2 years ago it hasn't leaked out yet. I know it's only a matter of time though...
Nah, this was my bros I did about 2 months ago, just got around to doing the write-up.

I am about to purchase a 2000 Cherokee, that is in running condition. But the current owner was told by a mechanic that just replaced the radiator, that the Heater Core needs to be replaced.
Is there anything that I should look at when I am purchasing this that mights help me figure out the real problem? Also would a problem with the heater core or radiator cause the check engine light to come on?

Any help would be appreciated, as i currently believe that i will be replacing the heater core in the near future.
Thanks,

PBen

garyf4848 said:
can you explain what the pipe disconnection tool is, got right to this stage and can't get pipes to split,
They look like this. It is a tool that you insert into the cage that prys the spring up so you can pull it off the line. Should be had at Autozone for around $12.
648339.jpg

XJ Eric said:
:worship: Thank-you sir!
No problem, I went ahead and threw it in the other thread you bumped too.

Back