• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another 3.5" or 4.5" thread....

XbajajeepX

NAXJA Forum User
I know there has been other threads like this started but I just wanted to get a few different opinions... I am not a newby, just confused is all....

I am building another XJ, its an 01 sport 4dr....This rig will be a DD/expedition rig only..No hardcore wheelin...

Now, I can't decide to go with the RE 4.5" and some 33's or the RE 3.5", trim more and slap on some 33's...I want to keep COG low but at the same time it will be loaded up often with probably 600+ pounds and I am affraid the 3.5" will sag....

What are your guys opinions on this?? Thanks,

Mike

If you can afford the extra cost, go with the 4.5 for sure. I was going to go w/ a 3.5, but the 4.5 is more complete, and this way you won't kick yourself later by not going 4.5.

Also the 33's will fit and look much better on 4.5 in my opinion.

I should have mentioned that this jeep will not see tires bigger than 33"....

I will have an older beater for the "hardcore" wheeling/crawling....

If I do decide to go with the 3.5" I was going to order the 4.5" kit with 3.5" coils.

i have the 3.5, no experience with the 4.5 so i cannot speak to that. I ended up spending the same amount that the 4.5 would have been by adding things to it, like the RE HD trac bar and mount, and jks disconnects. With that said my 3.5 has settled to an even 4" lift on a 2000. 33's with COG in mind i think the 3.5 would be the best option, if you order the 4.5 kit you are gaining control arms you dont need as well as an unused shackle. Upgrade the 3.5 kit with the trac bar and some disconnects and i think it would be a great option for you, love mine on what used to be a DD

Well if I order the 4.5" kit with 3.5" coils, I can have the peace of mind and install the UCA's just for added strength....OR I can sell the UCA's and shackles. From jeepinoutfitters the 4.5" kit with the HD trackbar/mount, JKS discos, and adj. LCA's comes to $1,132 w/free shipping. So if I sell the UCAs and shackles I'm getting more for the money than the 3.5" kit with all the upgrades..

On my old jeep...actually XJPEEJ has it now..I ran a 4.5re superflex with 31's..it was fine...just get the 4.5

since you state no HARDCORE wheeling, why not the 3.5 with 31's? if your not going to regear 33's with stock gears gets really old.

StylerG said:
i have the 3.5, no experience with the 4.5 so i cannot speak to that. I ended up spending the same amount that the 4.5 would have been by adding things to it, like the RE HD trac bar and mount, and jks disconnects. With that said my 3.5 has settled to an even 4" lift on a 2000. 33's with COG in mind i think the 3.5 would be the best option, if you order the 4.5 kit you are gaining control arms you dont need as well as an unused shackle. Upgrade the 3.5 kit with the trac bar and some disconnects and i think it would be a great option for you, love mine on what used to be a DD

what? how do you not need new control arms after lifting 4.5"? that is an odd statement

noutlawjeeper said:
since you state no HARDCORE wheeling, why not the 3.5 with 31's? if your not going to regear 33's with stock gears gets really old.

It will be used for expedition uses so I still like to have larger tires...It will be regeared right a way...I will be taking long road trips so regearing is a must..

noutlawjeeper said:
what? how do you not need new control arms after lifting 4.5"? that is an odd statement

I think he meant if I order the 4.5" kit with the 3.5" coils..

i run the 3.5 with coils and leafs and 33 mt's
to address the rear i added 1.25 RE shackles(30$ on craigslist) after i couldnt trim any more
you can trim alot more up front anyway
i use it for camping, and some good wheeling i dont have much problems
i run slick rock and deer valley just to name a few pretty easily fully loaded and with 4 people, open diffs/3.55's for now(44 rear)

id be scarred to hit the dusy without 4.88's and a locked rear (way into next year though)
gearing down is a better option to me than the extra costs of the 4.5 if youre on as tight a budget as i, where the 400$ for the trak bar, sway bar discos adj uca's, adj lca's (i have fixed lca's but stock uca's) could be 4.88's
i have stock dlink, tracbar, tie rods, stock uca/lca's all for 50$ from a parted out xj on craigslist
oh ya, bump stops. .. 2" extended front and rear will stop from ripping up your tires if you dont run flares
and run prob 4 degree shims in the rear due to the angle changes with the shackles

4.5 just do it. shoulda kept the one you got from me...

I got another one (brand new if your interested) PM me...

XbajajeepX said:
It will be used for expedition uses so I still like to have larger tires...It will be regeared right a way...I will be taking long road trips so regearing is a must..

I think he meant if I order the 4.5" kit with the 3.5" coils..

gotcha, i say 4.5 is perfect. i run a re 4.5 with 33's trimmed and bumpstoped.

Back