• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission line quick disconnects confusion

JoshRountree

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced my radiator this past weekend, and just want to clarify some things. The quick disconnects that have the nylon ears and o-rings connect the two hard lines closest to the transmission correct?

But the disconnect that is connected at the bottom of the radiator is not like this? It's just metal to metal? That's all I saw.

Also, where do I find the quick disconnects nylon ears and o-rings (I've also heard them called push lock connectors). Is there a specific size I'm looking for. Thanks!

Without knowing year I would say the one on the bottom of radiator is actually down the line a bit (unless yours was modified at some time).
I have only replaced the O rings and not the push tabs, some years have different sizes and types of "quick connect" that are not interchageable.:tears:

88xjlover said:
Without knowing year I would say the one on the bottom of radiator is actually down the line a bit (unless yours was modified at some time).
I have only replaced the O rings and not the push tabs, some years have different sizes and types of "quick connect" that are not interchageable.:tears:

It's a 1998. Yeah the one down the line a bit is the same as the ones back at the transmission, but I'm talking about the one that connects directly to the return line at the bottom of the radiator. When I took it off it looked like it had metals ears on the line that went over the thing that came out of the radiator.

On my '87 and '95, there is a plastic "push lock connector" connecting the brass tubing coming from the radiator to the transmission line.

When I took that quick-connect off the o-ring took off, never to be seen again. Since I don't like those quick-connectors (don't see why I need to get the tranny lines of real 'quick', they're all leaky, and they are expensive) I took it off altogether, flared the tube, and put regular hose and clamps on. Works fine. If you want to stick with the q-connects I guess the dealer might have them. Good luck!

BruceB83 said:
On my '87 and '95, there is a plastic "push lock connector" connecting the brass tubing coming from the radiator to the transmission line.

Pictures, neither of the connections closest to my radiator have any type of plastic or nylon ears on them, it just looks like metal tabs that keep the hose in place:

This is at the radiator, the black tube is what comes out of the radiator:
IMG_0875.JPG

This is down the line just a little bit further where the hard line meets the soft line:

IMG_0874.JPG

The only reason I'm talking about this is I'm doing the poor man's flush on my transmission and I've read I need to replace the quick disconnect tab and o-rings but can't seem to find them anywhere on the Internet. I'm going to go by Napa later on today, but would like to know if anyone has any advice before hand.

Jess said:
looks like the plastic tabs are broken off in there.

So you say that the plastic tab quick disconnects are the same all the way around? I thought they might be different because the lack of the tabs. I pulled one off last weekend and shoved it back on, and don't see any leaks yet, so I hope I'm ok, only time will tell. I still need to know exactly what to look for when I go to Napa, or the dealership, what size, etc.

those connectors will leak eventually. The best thing to do is cut all them out and flare the metal tube and use 3/8 hose and hose clamps.

they are not the same all the way around. There are two tabs opposite of each other and seperate.

The lower radiator trans connection is just the metal pipe, with the plastic clip and the hose.

I think there might be a gasket inside the metal end of the trans hose......that's why it doesn't leak, maybe.

Along the lines(pun intended) of this topic, my 89 is leaking at the fitting where the line goes int the tranny itself. Is there an o-ring seal there or does the plastic retainer do the sealing? I can remove the line by pushing the plastic ears on the clip, however it does not appear that there should be an o-ring on it. appreciate any help.:us:

It might actually be leaking at where the metal end to the hose is crimped to the hose itself. I had a line leak at one of those once. I just cut the metal end off and double clamped the hose to the line without flairing, haven't had any problems since April.

I picked up these today from Advanced Auto, the only sizes they had were 5/16" and 3/8" so I hope one of them works. I'll let you know after Friday...

IMG_0878.jpg

I did my poor man's flush this weekend, and wow does the transmission shift smoother.

I tried using the o-rings and quick disconnects I posted previously but they didn't hold at all. I pushed it in and it slid back out really easy. It's definitely a 3/8 though, the o-ring went on snug, but the quick disconnect just didn't hold. So, I just ended up keeping the old one in there, it snapped in pretty good. I'll swing by the dealership and see if it's a dealer only item, and look into replacing it. Here's a couple of pictures of the quick disconnect, it might help someone out in the future.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/JoshRountree/Quick%20Disconnect/P1010158.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/JoshRountree/Quick%20Disconnect/P1010157.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/JoshRountree/Quick%20Disconnect/P1010156.jpg

there are 2 types on the XJ's. the one that obviously has the plastic connectors (which i believe all XJ's use 3/8's lines on the tranny), and the ones like in the pictures above where it's just the metal cup over the metal line. for those you have to use a special fuel, a/c, tranny line disconnect tool. they make them out of plastic or metal and are generally available at all parts stores. i HIGHLY recommend the metal ones, as the plastic ones often times don't give you enough pressure to deal with rusty lines, and having used both plastic and metal at work on a daily basis, i can say that the metal ones pretty much always get the job done in 1/2 the time that the plastic ones do.

just go to the store and ask for fuel/tranny disconnect tool, and once you get it, it'll be pretty self explanatory on how to use it.

Blaine B. said:
It might actually be leaking at where the metal end to the hose is crimped to the hose itself. I had a line leak at one of those once. I just cut the metal end off and double clamped the hose to the line without flairing, haven't had any problems since April.

So, do you mean you just cut off the quick connect from the rubber hose, and slid the rubber hose over the metal tube that comes out of the radiator?

A couple weeks after I changed my radiator, I got a leak in that quick disconnect. (Could I have lost the o-ring?)

Anyway, I was thinking of just cutting off the quick connect, but wanted to get some advice from the experts before I did.

Thanks.

BTW, if I did choose to flare the metal coming out of the radiator, how would I go about doing that? Thanks.

sorry for jacking the thread but i am not able to post. well i had a problem with my xj. both of the transmission lines got crushed and all the fluid leaked out right under the engine. has this happened to anyone? my xj was salvaged. so i cant really tell if the bar that crushd them was bent wrong when the jeep was crashed. i had an idea to rerout them with rubber hoses. would that work? thanx for the info peeps

mongochuy said:
sorry for jacking the thread but i am not able to post. well i had a problem with my xj. both of the transmission lines got crushed and all the fluid leaked out right under the engine. has this happened to anyone? my xj was salvaged. so i cant really tell if the bar that crushd them was bent wrong when the jeep was crashed. i had an idea to rerout them with rubber hoses. would that work? thanx for the info peeps

I wouldn't if it were me. I think the hard lines serve a purpose.

What I plan on doing some time in the future (or when mine start leaking) is to cut the end off the hard line at the transmission, flare it, and use some new fittings. Then cut out the soft line, flare the hard line that connects to the soft line and put another fitting on, then run hoses to the radiator where you'll more than likely have to use the stock fitting.

Back